I THINK THE IMPORTANT THING THAT BOB SHOULD THINK ABOUT IS HOW MUCH MONEY HE CAN DO WITH OUT. AND ALSO THE KIND OF WORK HE WANTS TO DO WITHIN THE INDUSTRY.

FOR ME LIKE OTHERS ON HERE, IT IS RURAL PEST CONTROL THAT INTREST ME, I GIVE ALL MY INSECT WORK AWAY , APART FROM WASPS AND BEES.

BUT I STILL DO A PART TIME JOB AT WEEKENDS , WICH LEAVS ME TIME FOR MOLES AND RABBIS MIDWEEK.

Yes TOMO its the RURAL that interests me too, but im going to go the full hog to start and see what progresses from there. I just treat it as a huge learning curve untill i can decide on what i prefer, and hopefully follow that line.

As for the money il be ok for a bit even if i have to fully concentrate on training for a few months, maybe could even give up a few days to help some other pesties out, just for the experience.

Cheers bob

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hi bob

unfortunately most authorities do offer a free rodent service to house holders rats are free to most people but not commercial properties mice are usually charged for but free if on certain benefits

if you are interested in setting up i suggest you contact the npta {national pest technician association }

these will get you going in the right direction ,get yourself public liability and a presentable van

and build as you go but just remember safety is the priority ,its not that difficult i assure you i work along side my local city council and it does pay very well i assure you .

good luck with your new venture

regards t3

Thanks T3 il take a look at the NPTA for advice, I understand the need for insurances and health and safety issues ect. and have a good van already.

Did you approach the local authority yourself or did they come to you ?

Cheers bob

Heres my tip?

Do not go for an RSH in pest control until you have at least 1 years expierence in pest control you will struggle on the course. This course is designed for people that have had some industrial experience , it not just rats and mice.

In my opinion you would be better to subscribe to some of the journals ie Technician today and Pest Control News there you will find many entry courses to suit and work your way up to the BPCA and RSH qualifications.

I think working for a big boys will test your metal, They always have jobs because they have such a high turn over of staff. Need I say more. If you go it alone with no work experience that is a recipie for disaster, COSHH and legilsation and the products used in pest control are complex and you could get yourself into trouble.

I'm 34 and have running my business for 6years and started doing pest control professionally at 24. On the flip side i now someone that is in his forties with many many year under his belt and has just set up.

I wish you well for the future,

regards Roger.

Thanks for the advice Roger, are you suggesting that to get the experience i try and work for a company to start. There again would they take me on with no experience ?

Thanks for the pointer to the journals il defo take a look at them.

Cheers bob

Heres my tip?

Do not go for an RSH in pest control until you have at least 1 years expierence in pest control you will struggle on the course. This course is designed for people that have had some industrial experience , it not just rats and mice.

In my opinion you would be better to subscribe to some of the journals ie Technician today and Pest Control News there you will find many entry courses to suit and work your way up to the BPCA and RSH qualifications.

I think working for a big boys will test your metal, They always have jobs because they have such a high turn over of staff. Need I say more. If you go it alone with no work experience that is a recipie for disaster, COSHH and legilsation and the products used in pest control are complex and you could get yourself into trouble.

I'm 34 and have running my business for 6years and started doing pest control professionally at 24. On the flip side i now someone that is in his forties with many many year under his belt and has just set up.

regards Roger.

Thanks for the advice Roger, are you suggesting that to get the experience i try and work for a company to start. There again would they take me on with no experience ?

Cheers bob

We all had to start somewhere, I had no experience. Many of the large companies have there own in house training. The first company i worked for was a small pest control company where i learnt the basics and then moved to an much larger firm. You are always learning new stuff, all I'm saying I it not as idylic life style as some seem to think.

I hope you have a lots of spare cash to set up and to cover you over the lean periods which could be a longtime. Take a look in the Yellow pages to see what competition there is in your area.

I'm not trying to put you off the idea, many have to have two jobs to bridge the setting up period. I know my old work colleage still has to do building work on the side.

Mucho respecto.

P.S whats the point in setting up pest control company if you don't know what you are doing? It makes the industry look bad. No offence!

Heres my tip?

regards Roger.

Cheers bob

Bob, I started out helping out a mate, doing the odd bit of " rural " pest control work. I fancied doing it full time, & the only way forward I found was to get some savings behind me and get a job with one of the national companies, the money was dire but the amount of knowledge gained was priceless, not just the qualifications with the BPCA etc (they might get you to sign that youll pay the course cost back if you leave before a certain time anyway, but if the firm is a BPCA they get the courses for a little over half price so still a result), but mainly the business side of things re: pricing paperwork etc etc, also nowadays theres so much equipment on the market youll know what is needed and what isnt, & youll get to build up your stock slowly but surely ;) .

I jacked as soon as they announced they were going to put trackers on the vans LMAO, it was either jump or be pushed LOL. Had some great weekends hunting up and down the country in that van LOL. & as it was sign written I was advertising for them,,,,, well that was my story if caught!

Before I could go " solo " I had to go back on the tools to build up the dough again, but once I did the work came in. The rural stuff was slowly gained but never as enjoyable to be honest.

I would say a lot of companies are happier taking someone on with little pest control experience for various reasons. The NPTA are a good source of info for the small companies I found.

quote;Do not go for an RSH in pest control until you have at least 1 years expierence in pest control you will struggle on the course. This course is designed for people that have had some industrial experience , it not just rats and mice.

no disrespect, but i beg to differ, mine was the RSH/BPCA and as stated, i had only around 6 months training, others on the course had nil, it depends weather you can retain information and then sit the exam, i did the 5 day course, and although i was worried that it was too soon, the examiners told me to "just relax and enjoy" the teaching, a few hours studying in the evenings, rather than swanning off down the uni pub with others, and the exam was pretty easy, a lot of it was common sense,

We all had to start somewhere, I had no experience. Many of the large companies have there own in house training. The first company i worked for was a small pest control company where i learnt the basics and then moved to an much larger firm. You are always learning new stuff, all I'm saying I it not as idylic life style as some seem to think.

I hope you have a lots of spare cash to set up and to cover you over the lean periods which could be a longtime. Take a look in the Yellow pages to see what competition there is in your area.

I'm not trying to put you off the idea, many have to have two jobs to bridge the setting up period. I know my old work colleage still has to do building work on the side.

Mucho respecto.

P.S whats the point in setting up pest control company if you don't know what you are doing? It makes the industry look bad. No offence!

Took a look in the yellow pages and there are alot around the city area, but im 10 miles out from there, and there are only half a dozen in yell.com in my area. I suppose the future for me will be the rural side of control as my plan is to move to the country in the future, maybe 6yrs time.

The money issue i can cope with, and i know il never earn as much as i did as a builder, but theres more to life. :thumbs:

And no offense taken with your comment, as ive seen plenty of that in the building industry, and one thing i will guarantee if i decide to go for it then i will give it 110%, its not just a fad its something ive been thinking about for the last 12mths, its just that the time is right now to start my enquiries.

Cheers bob

Edited by BLACKBOB

GD Waz

Bob, I started out helping out a mate, doing the odd bit of " rural " pest control work. I fancied doing it full time, & the only way forward I found was to get some savings behind me and get a job with one of the national companies, the money was dire but the amount of knowledge gained was priceless, not just the qualifications with the BPCA etc (they might get you to sign that youll pay the course cost back if you leave before a certain time anyway, but if the firm is a BPCA they get the courses for a little over half price so still a result), but mainly the business side of things re: pricing paperwork etc etc, also nowadays theres so much equipment on the market youll know what is needed and what isnt, & youll get to build up your stock slowly but surely ;) .

I jacked as soon as they announced they were going to put trackers on the vans LMAO, it was either jump or be pushed LOL. Had some great weekends hunting up and down the country in that van LOL. & as it was sign written I was advertising for them,,,,, well that was my story if caught!

Before I could go " solo " I had to go back on the tools to build up the dough again, but once I did the work came in. The rural stuff was slowly gained but never as enjoyable to be honest.

I would say a lot of companies are happier taking someone on with little pest control experience for various reasons. The NPTA are a good source of info for the small companies I found.

Cheers mate, i can understand why some companies prefer no or little experience, but why did'nt you find the work so enjoyable when you went 'solo' ?

Cheers bob

Edited by BLACKBOB

For me it started with a conversation down the pub with my brother saying i have seen how two different pest control companies work and i saw the good and bad in both small and large companies .

We talked about what if i could setup a pest control company, would i do it. I said yes

My brother loaned me some money to setup and i haven't look back since. Was hardwork but got there in the end.

regards Roger

Edited by R_Oldroyd

There's some interesting stuff coming out here.

Firstly, there is a very high turnover of staff within the industry as a whole, and therefore, there are always jobs available. I suffered from a high turnover of staff up until about a year ago, for various reasons; but these days its very low. We now have one of the highest levels of qualification in the industry (85% of my technicians have the RSPH level 2, or equivelent), which is due solely to us investing a shit load of money into training.

I get quite annoyed when technicians join us from other companies, who have several years experience, but have never been given the opportunity to sit the basic entry level examination.

The new (ish) RSPH level 2 exam is much harder than its predecessor, mainly because you dont just have to know the right answers, you also need to know why its the right answer, and be able to put that down on paper!

I have seen over a hundred people sit the new exam, and take it from me, 6 or 12 months experience first could make all the difference.

The thing that working for a big company will do, is give you experience of how the industry works, as well as the pests you will come up against. Although you can do a one week 'intensive' course, ending in an exam, you will not walk out of there a pest controller, even if you do pass.

Irrespective of the type of work you want to ultimately end up doing, a year with a big company will help you more than anything else. After all, if you intend doing pest control for the rest of your working life, whats a year or two?

I like taking on people with no experience, who have fieldcraft skills because I dont have to spend threee months breaking all the bad habits they have picked up elsewhere. Having said that, we had a new starter today who has as many, if not more, qualifications than me, and was eager to work for us (how things change)!

As for earnings; if you are outside london, a fully qualified technician, who is not afraid of hard work, should be able to earn between 20 and 25k.

For the record, I have no vacancies at the moment, but anyone is welcome to PM me, and I will do my best to help you, even if thats just a ride out with one of our guys, or a cuppa and chat.

Regards

Matt

PS - Stubby, you should change your signiture - there is no such thing as 'BPCA level 2' Its either BPCA part one (no longer done) or RSPH level 2 ! - No offence, but its annoying!

Cheers mate, i can understand why some companies prefer no or little experience, but why did'nt you find the work so enjoyable when you went 'solo' ?

Cheers bob

I love/d all the trapping as its all about getting the result, good bit of suspense for me, but getting paid to lamp and ferret never floated my boat, one night I could be doing rabbit control for the RAF & not getting much enjoyment, the next out lamping on 'permission' ie: dont get chassed the 1st time so class it as permission, and feeling alive. I dont know if I can put across properly via a keyboard :wallbash:

Thanks Matt, it seems to be more of a sway to working for a company for the experience, before doing the training and exam.

It dont run right in my head as it seems the wrong way around, but i can understand the logic, not many jobs get the experience first and qualify after :blink: . Maybe il do an induction course and see if i can get somewhere from there. Checked for jobs earlier to see if there were any trainee posts, but none near me.

Probably be best to wright to the companies myself, as soon as im ready.

By the way nice offer at the end, thankyou

Cheers bob

good advise there from mat the rat. :yes: i worked for a local company for 18 months, to get experiance and to pass my bpca at warwick uni.

then set up on my own , spent about £500 with killgerm to get the basics, an add in the yellow pages wich cost £1200, but i paid monthly. and just over £500 public liabilty insurance.

good luck TOMO

HI BLACKBOB,

IM JUST STARTING UP IN PC MYSELF, I LIVE IN THE VALLEYS TO. THERE IS NOT MUCH COMPITION HERE IN MERTHYR, I STARTED WITH A WEB-SITE AND PUTTING AN ADD INT THE YELLOW PAGES, IM NOW OPENING A PREMISES IN PENTREBACH INDUSTRIAL ESTATE, THAT WILL BE MY BASE, BUT IM ALSO GOING TO BE SELLING PRODUCTS CLOTHING TRAPS ETC TO THE GENARAL PUBLIC, SO IF IM NOT OUT ON THE JOB AT LEAST I HAVE SOME MONEY COMING IN. HOPE THIS HELPS IF YOU IN MERTHYR POP IN AND SEE ME AND I WILL SEE IF I CAN HELP YOU IN ANY WAY GOOD LUCK

ANTH0NY :thumbs:

HI BLACKBOB,

IM JUST STARTING UP IN PC MYSELF, I LIVE IN THE VALLEYS TO. THERE IS NOT MUCH COMPITION HERE IN MERTHYR, I STARTED WITH A WEB-SITE AND PUTTING AN ADD INT THE YELLOW PAGES, IM NOW OPENING A PREMISES IN PENTREBACH INDUSTRIAL ESTATE, THAT WILL BE MY BASE, BUT IM ALSO GOING TO BE SELLING PRODUCTS CLOTHING TRAPS ETC TO THE GENARAL PUBLIC, SO IF IM NOT OUT ON THE JOB AT LEAST I HAVE SOME MONEY COMING IN. HOPE THIS HELPS IF YOU IN MERTHYR POP IN AND SEE ME AND I WILL SEE IF I CAN HELP YOU IN ANY WAY GOOD LUCK

ANTH0NY :thumbs:

Cheers mate il try and catch up with you for a chat in a while. Hope it goes well for you, let me know how things pan out.

Cheers bob