Calling it a day .

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The time has come for me to hang up my beaters horn , and retire from keepering.          I spoke to the boss a few weeks ago and told him I’m making this my last season . We are parting on good ter

I’ve no plans to . If anything I’d like to do more , more clay shooting and also I’d like to join a small syndicate and have a few days game shooting myself . I plan on keeping the chicken farm fox sh

Posted Images

14 minutes ago, Sausagedog said:

Shall you quit shooting John?

I’ve no plans to . If anything I’d like to do more , more clay shooting and also I’d like to join a small syndicate and have a few days game shooting myself . I plan on keeping the chicken farm fox shooting in Gloucestershire, I can tie in visits to there with visits to the family. And see if I can get some permission in Cornwall. 
          I’ve no doubt that there will be city dwellers who have moved to the countryside to live the “ good life “ . One of the first things that they do is get chickens, and one of the first things that happens is a fox comes along and eats them , and that’s when hopefully I can put the skills I’ve learnt keepering into practice. So definitely not giving up shooting , I’ve always had guns and always will , what is it the Americans say ? “ from my cold , dead hand “. 

• Like 6

I do quite a lot of sea fishing SL and if you were taking up beach casting, I could help you as I am a casting instructor for 'Sea Angler Magazine' and had several boats but Cornwall would not be my chosen place to live, the weather is so changable and my old boss moved there and told me after a couple of years that they monitored the rainfall which was considerably more than he used to get in Chesterfield.

If you shore fishing, there are some great places but afloat you really do need to be switched on to the rough waters around that coast, East Devon is a far better place for a small boat with much calmer seas and more predictable conditions.  I you do go to Cornwall, don't buy the Wilson until you have really got some good feedback for the area as a Warrior or Arvor or Orkney may be a better bet.

You will at least have a constant supply of fresh sand eel and when in season, peeler crab....................you could even supply me with peelers, now there's a thought.

I wish you well with it anyway and there are some good clay shooting grounds down in those two counties as well.

Phil

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
22 hours ago, philpot said:

I do quite a lot of sea fishing SL and if you were taking up beach casting, I could help you as I am a casting instructor for 'Sea Angler Magazine' and had several boats but Cornwall would not be my chosen place to live, the weather is so changable and my old boss moved there and told me after a couple of years that they monitored the rainfall which was considerably more than he used to get in Chesterfield.

If you shore fishing, there are some great places but afloat you really do need to be switched on to the rough waters around that coast, East Devon is a far better place for a small boat with much calmer seas and more predictable conditions.  I you do go to Cornwall, don't buy the Wilson until you have really got some good feedback for the area as a Warrior or Arvor or Orkney may be a better bet.

You will at least have a constant supply of fresh sand eel and when in season, peeler crab....................you could even supply me with peelers, now there's a thought.

I wish you well with it anyway and there are some good clay shooting grounds down in those two counties as well.

Phil

Thanks Phil , I already do a bit of fishing as far down as Brean on the Severn . Have you been watching me ? Because I could definitely do with some casting lessons ?. As far as boats go , I have Zero experience, and won’t be getting anything till I’m down there . I will probably join a club and get as much advice as I can . I’ve got a lot to learn that’s for sure ……. but that is what I like to do , otherwise life is boring. 

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, shovel leaner said:

Thanks Phil , I already do a bit of fishing as far down as Brean on the Severn . Have you been watching me ? Because I could definitely do with some casting lessons ?. As far as boats go , I have Zero experience, and won’t be getting anything till I’m down there . I will probably join a club and get as much advice as I can . I’ve got a lot to learn that’s for sure ……. but that is what I like to do , otherwise life is boring. 

Don't forget to take into account SIBS and RIBS because inflatable boats ( sib = soft inflatable boat, rib = rigid inflatable boat like the RNLI use) as they can be seriously good for fishing and becoming more and more popular. I have had 6 SIBS and 2 RIBS and with a good 15 - 20hp engine will take you anywhere if conditions allow of course.  The great thing is storage and the last rib I had folded in three sections with a removable cuddy which with a 15hp engine and all my fishing gear went in the back of my VW Passat estate car so food for thought.

This was my folding rib

DSCF3215_zpsc8rhtg9n.jpg

DSCF2993_zps3c64b17d.jpg

DSCF2978_zpsfc8ccc29.jpg

This was the company owner who import these boats dropping mine off so we blasted it around the local lake.

phil

• Like 1
54 minutes ago, philpot said:

Don't forget to take into account SIBS and RIBS because inflatable boats ( sib = soft inflatable boat, rib = rigid inflatable boat like the RNLI use) as they can be seriously good for fishing and becoming more and more popular. I have had 6 SIBS and 2 RIBS and with a good 15 - 20hp engine will take you anywhere if conditions allow of course.  The great thing is storage and the last rib I had folded in three sections with a removable cuddy which with a 15hp engine and all my fishing gear went in the back of my VW Passat estate car so food for thought.

This was my folding rib

DSCF3215_zpsc8rhtg9n.jpg

DSCF2993_zps3c64b17d.jpg

DSCF2978_zpsfc8ccc29.jpg

This was the company owner who import these boats dropping mine off so we blasted it around the local lake.

phil

I think I will just hang around some beach near Dover , for some reason, I can’t think why , they are just being found abandoned ?

• Haha 2
1 hour ago, shovel leaner said:

I think I will just hang around some beach near Dover , for some reason, I can’t think why , they are just being found abandoned ?

Yeah some of the famous Somalian workmanship - you'll be fine!! 

• Haha 2