Ferreting near Badger Sett

There’s some rabbit holes I want to ferret on a hedge line but there’s a couple badger holes there too amongst them a couple feet away from the holes and I was wondering if it was safe to go ferreting there because I heard that the badger holes might link up with the rabbit holes? I’m not sure if that’s true or not but I was wondering if it’s safe for the ferrets 

7 hours ago, _Lewis_ said:

There’s some rabbit holes I want to ferret on a hedge line but there’s a couple badger holes there too amongst them a couple feet away from the holes and I was wondering if it was safe to go ferreting there because I heard that the badger holes might link up with the rabbit holes? I’m not sure if that’s true or not but I was wondering if it’s safe for the ferrets 

If in doubt, don't risk it, there's plenty of rabbit holes that aren't near setts.  I'd give it a miss. It may run very deep as well so not worth the hassle, especially as you couldn't dig the ferret out if it lies up without the risk of prosecution for disturbing a sett. Find a different set of holes.

Cheers, D.

• Like 9
6 hours ago, Wideboy said:

Are you sure it’s not big old rabbit holes? Some entrances can get very big over the years. Is there signs of badgers? 

Yes there’s lots of shit pits and I’ve seen badgers here last time I was here a couple years ago

If the ferret comes across a badger it would probably result in a very dead ferret so yes it’s dangerous. Holes could very easily connect to the badger holes, it’s a bit odd to me but not uncommon at all for rabbits and badgers to live in the same holes. Good effort on starting up with your ferrets but steer clear off badgers and fox earths nothing but trouble there for you. 

• Like 2
26 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

I was down that way in the spring time an i was amazed at the rabbits I saw, hear loads saying there ain’t any but I saw a good few of them, all scattered about in little pockets here an there, keep looking about an you’ll come across some?

Where in West Wales did you go?

I have Ferreted in and around Badger sets for years as i had no choice living in Leicestershire where Badgers have completely taken over . One place in mind untill the last was alive with  Rabbits  which lived  in a series off massive warrens around a hill  and between the Wars it was ran as a Meat  and Fur  production area ran by two  part time trappers who both had farms in the locality, Mixxy came in54/55  and the Rabbit market ended  and the Farmers went on to Cattle  and Sheep also  the badgers started to move in  and i joined them  around 64/65 and as a rule we got on together but by the  80s the were every where but i carried on as normal and never had any bother but what was  noticeable  was that i never had a dig over three feet  and i must dug god knows how many Rabbits on that place over 50 years , from this i think Rabbits share the same entrance/exits but live on different levels of the Earths another thing that is apparent to me is that Ferrets worked in these places are not the best workers to use in areas that are deep .

6 years ago i was asked to stay off of part of this land  that ran alongside a train line whilst a Badger survey was carried out and after two years i had a look back ... not a single Rabbit or Badger and all the Rabbit Wire and badger wire has been changed !Miles of it but not the normal wire its a wider mesh, very odd .

• Like 1
2 hours ago, _Lewis_ said:

West wales 

Ah your stuffed then mate take up knitting. Finding rabbits with out a dog in that neck woods won't be easy though you get the odd little easy patch but few and far between. It was all going so well I was hoping you were up north some where they seem to have it easy there going from the reports I see on here 

Edited by terryd
5 minutes ago, terryd said:

Ah your stuffed then mate take up knitting. Finding rabbits with out a dog in that neck woods won't be easy though you get the odd little easy patch but few and far between. It was all going so well I was hoping you were up north some where they seem to have it easy there going from the reports I see on here 

I’ll try my best to find them but they’re not abundant 

• Like 2