Labradors

4 hours ago, Blackmag said:

What dogs or line would you lads go to if you was after a pup  I know of drakeshead heard mixed reviews about them and been told about  greenbriar and sandringham or is there a stud that is producing decent pups 

Drakeshead used to be the db's but no idea what they are like nowadays, I'm talking 30+ years back ?

Cheers, D.

• Like 1

There’s a lot of well bred pups out there including drakeshead,a lot of people think if they get a well bred pup it will do what is asked of it but you must Remember its a dog which is only trying to please you and nine times out of ten it’s your end of the lead that’s at fault,most of the top names all have much the same breeding in them ,years ago it used to be get a puppy with a pedigree with pocklea Remus in it as many times as you can,as it produced many champions,also you will only get out what you put in,atb wf 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, wilbur foxhound said:

There’s a lot of well bred pups out there including drakeshead,a lot of people think if they get a well bred pup it will do what is asked of it but you must Remember its a dog which is only trying to please you and nine times out of ten it’s your end of the lead that’s at fault,most of the top names all have much the same breeding in them ,years ago it used to be get a puppy with a pedigree with pocklea Remus in it as many times as you can,as it produced many champions,also you will only get out what you put in,atb wf 

Ain’t that the truth ! …a pal of mine a few years back spent an age researching the pedigrees of the top working lines at the time , drakeshead was the name everyone wanted on the papers .Had he spent a quarter of the time he did on research on training he might have ended up with a decent working dog , he never and ended up with a great pet . The name on the paper is just the start , my pal expected the dog to read the training manual and train itself …you only get out what you put in should be stamped on the top of every pedigree paper in big red letters …

• Like 3

The pup will have plenty of time put in to it all the time it needs and I won't be rushing it either  im not expecting it to be field trial material but I'm sure I can get it to do what I need I was just researching as it's going to be here for life so I'm just giving it some thought before going out and buying any thing 

11 minutes ago, Blackmag said:

The pup will have plenty of time put in to it all the time it needs and I won't be rushing it either  im not expecting it to be field trial material but I'm sure I can get it to do what I need I was just researching as it's going to be here for life so I'm just giving it some thought before going out and buying any thing 

I agree. While it's true that a good trainer will get better results from a badly bred dog than a bad trainer will get from a well bred dog, it's always best to do some research first on different lines so that you have a better idea of what to expect...and then put the good work in after too.?

I hasten to add that I have no experience of Labradors. I'm just talking about dogs in general.? Good luck with whatever you go for. I was once told that Labradors are born half trained whereas springers die half trained.? Not sure how much truth there is in that though.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
35 minutes ago, Neal said:

I agree. While it's true that a good trainer will get better results from a badly bred dog than a bad trainer will get from a well bred dog, it's always best to do some research first on different lines so that you have a better idea of what to expect...and then put the good work in after too.?

I hasten to add that I have no experience of Labradors. I'm just talking about dogs in general.? Good luck with whatever you go for. I was once told that Labradors are born half trained whereas springers die half trained.? Not sure how much truth there is in that though.

Cheers neal my old man always had labs to a decent standard but he's sadly passed and his bitch is getting on but I never really took much interest in how he trained them other than as like been said he put a lot of time in to them and didn't rush  he use to get them of mates when he needed one but none have anything at the min both I went to see gave me advice and are keeping there eyes open but I don't want to keep bothering them because I might need there advice on training methods