Early mole trap, type, in use

Elm full barrel trap, with a capture. After extensive trials, seems reasonably humane, overall ,with no signs of the mole struggling. As long as its caught in the right area, that is. This is all achieved, with the benefit of Bob Merrins, strong coiled springs, powering the trap. But, its not immune from the odd 'foul capture', as with other metal mole traps, of the present day.

20210614_204112_resized.jpg

20210614_204209_resized.jpg

20210614_204148_resized.jpg

• Like 2

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is a double one, just made the one to try, put it in the other day and caught a single mole, the other side never went off so will catch double, I will be just making a few double catch and a lot

Easy to check these 

Thanks Phil but im no brain box, im thick as shit, just practical.

Posted Images

Just out of idle curiosity; How do you find setting them, as compared to more modern traps ~ bother wise? Same? Less? More?

And that roused another muse in me: I was just pondering how they'd compare, price wise. I might still have a wooden barrel stored away here. Can't remember. But, it was one sold by Young's.

I'm pretty sure they also got to offer Duffus traps, before the last of the boys died out.

Anyone interested could search through their later catalogues, I s'pose; Try to find the closest ones where they last offer a Barrel and if they still offered them alongside Duffus'. That would provide a comparison.

Be a fascinating little nugget of mole catchers lore too :)

Too distracted, myself. But, anyone else of an enquiring nature? Tunnel In!

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, Ken's Deputy said:

Just out of idle curiosity; How do you find setting them, as compared to more modern traps ~ bother wise? Same? Less? More?

And that roused another muse in me: I was just pondering how they'd compare, price wise. I might still have a wooden barrel stored away here. Can't remember. But, it was one sold by Young's.

I'm pretty sure they also got to offer Duffus traps, before the last of the boys died out.

Anyone interested could search through their later catalogues, I s'pose; Try to find the closest ones where they last offer a Barrel and if they still offered them alongside Duffus'. That would provide a comparison.

Be a fascinating little nugget of mole catchers lore too :)

Too distracted, myself. But, anyone else of an enquiring nature? Tunnel In!

"setting them" ?,..more time consuming,..... & "bother wise", yes,  more ! ? But, i find it very satisfying, when you successfully catch, a mole in them. The olden day, catchers had it harder than us, & arguably perhaps, a higher skill level ?,...a mean look what they used even before the clay & wood barrel traps, etc ? ?  Also, im sure ive seen both types listed in your old catalogue examples, when browsing them before, but, i dont know if ive seen them both featuring together, for sale,.... possibly though ?  Ive heard there was a maufactured type of wooden barrel trap, referred too, or branded as, the 'Perfection' mole trap,....does that 'ring any bells' with you at all ?  

8 hours ago, W. Katchum said:

Lovely that, lifelong Cumbrian on here makes his own traps, a modern aluminium version of the one you posted, I’d love a play about with either ?

Does he really ?,...well, that sounds interesting. Mate, im not very handy at all, as regards making them,...lol So ave had a woodturner boy make me a couple, out of ash, as an experiment (too dear,..as we would say, though  lol,...so a havent had many) Based on Bobs original he kindly sent up,....a tried to get them done to my own dimensions, for humaneness considerations, etc. Again, Bob supplied the springs. Youve maybe heard, Bob updated the wooden ones, using 'plastic gas pipe', for the body ? A found a photo on the web once, somebody put up of a mole catcher down in the borders. Saying, this is so & so, & he traps moles as a service for farmers, with his homemade traps,...me being me, somehow managed to get in touch, & he mentioned about making traps,.out of 'old bean cans' ? !

1 hour ago, W. Katchum said:

Aye @lifelong cumbrian makes the whole trap, springs an all. He is a very talented guy an the proof is in the pudding with these home made traps, if they catch ? I was very impressed when I saw one his traps on the flesh when I visited wales a couple months ago, he always tinkering about tryin to make them even better, hopefully he pops in an tells you more ?

Cracking traps they are, I made aluminium version of the plastic Bob made, I have tinkered about and made a couple of changes, also made a double catch version, honestly these traps are difficult not to catch with, only failed once and I think a sheep sprung it because it wasn’t back filled. Currently I am playing about making  different length ones as I want them catching around the ribs. Nice to catch on something you put together yourself ?

• Like 2
15 hours ago, earth-thrower said:

Ive heard there was a maufactured type of wooden barrel trap, referred too, or branded as, the 'Perfection' mole trap,....does that 'ring any bells' with you at all ?  

Ring bells? Like a fukking cathedral, mate! That would have been a Young's one.

Thing is; I had (Have?) Two old, wooden mole traps. The Full Barrel, that looked very much like the 'original' one your man there modelled his reproduction off of.

Then, I had a more advanced model of the 'original' willow wood and so forth thing. Bit of flat wood and two loops below? Fired by a willow whip?

Only, this one used a bit of flat wood and the loops were channelled iron. Both, as I recall, were powered by a wire spring. 

• Like 1
22 hours ago, earth-thrower said:

Elm full barrel trap, with a capture. After extensive trials, seems reasonably humane, overall ,with no signs of the mole struggling. As long as its caught in the right area, that is. This is all achieved, with the benefit of Bob Merrins, strong coiled springs, powering the trap. But, its not immune from the odd 'foul capture', as with other metal mole traps, of the present day.

20210614_204112_resized.jpg

20210614_204209_resized.jpg

20210614_204148_resized.jpg

Where did you get the twine for the catch loop mate, thank you.

15 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

Welcome down here anytime pal, always up to summat ? just been asked to clear a load more land that’s just had its first cut, few moles on ot so happy days an hopefully a new customer for the winter ? gonna go Chuck a bit fluff at some trout once ib had me tea in a minute, see what’s about ?

I am expecting a couple of calls, farmer I do moles for had been helping 2 others mowing grass, said there was loads of heaps in amongst it. He gave them my number and a good review, said they were going to ring me.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, OldPhil said:

Well done Earth-Thrower,.good to see the old Timber Talpa Throttler put to good use...?

Well, im very pleased to now have, that one of yours Phil  (makes it that wee bit more special too !  ha ha)

Edited by earth-thrower
2 hours ago, lifelong cumbrian said:

This is a double one, just made the one to try, put it in the other day and caught a single mole, the other side never went off so will catch double, I will be just making a few double catch and a lot of single catch. Made a few single catch already and catch well with them.

EB1E1307-F255-4E52-B951-227B5EA8F001.jpeg

Good on you mate,..am impressed with your ingenuity here !