Crossing to keep the running dog genes

I think most hunters on rabbits want fast dogs like the whippet or greyhound but prefer a sturdier dog with thicker skin, better coat to protect the animal. I know there are really good first cross running dogs but they do get half the other genes being from stock dogs, terriers, scent dogs and others. Could it be better to put a complete mongrel dog with hunting ability over a runner so that the pups inherit more of the sighthounds?

2 hours ago, Aussie Whip said:

I think most hunters on rabbits want fast dogs like the whippet or greyhound but prefer a sturdier dog with thicker skin, better coat to protect the animal. I know there are really good first cross running dogs but they do get half the other genes being from stock dogs, terriers, scent dogs and others. Could it be better to put a complete mongrel dog with hunting ability over a runner so that the pups inherit more of the sighthounds?

Struth mate lurcher x lurcher by crikey 

4 hours ago, Aussie Whip said:

my mates uncle brought a mongrely houndy looking thing back from spain i think this bitch had been running about the mountains fending for itself....the bitch hunted for fun helluva nose on it i said to him put a grey or whippet over her but he never did...she used to come working away on the islands with us  i walked her in the evenings after work and really enjoyed her company nice bitch she was

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Black neck said:

Struth mate lurcher x lurcher by crikey 

I agree worker to worker but I'm wondering if a straight pure bred running dog is crossed would the pups come out more running dog if crossed to a mongrel rather than another pure bred.

31 minutes ago, Aussie Whip said:

I agree worker to worker but I'm wondering if a straight pure bred running dog is crossed would the pups come out more running dog if crossed to a mongrel rather than another pure bred.

Who knows

• Like 1
55 minutes ago, Aussie Whip said:

No would still be 50/50 unless the other dog had sighthound blood. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, jackthelad said:

my mates uncle brought a mongrely houndy looking thing back from spain i think this bitch had been running about the mountains fending for itself....the bitch hunted for fun helluva nose on it i said to him put a grey or whippet over her but he never did...she used to come working away on the islands with us  i walked her in the evenings after work and really enjoyed her company nice bitch she was

Podenco?