The Joys of Cattle and Fencing

22 hours ago, THE STIFFMEISTER said:

That’s a cracking little read that mate , enjoy reading about people when they find happiness in their work . 

?

Glad you enjoyed ! It's easier to deal with BS when you start enjoying it ??

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Wolfdog91 said:

Thank you and  what the cows are on it's about 67 acres, we have more for the hunters and what not but it's a bit complicated, family land disputes and all that lol.

The cows are actually fed daily at the feed barn by the house but a couple of the lead cows still have some crazy in them from the old strains and they do not like having folks where we're not supposed to be. Like in the back pastures where I was ect. If my dad or one of my brother approaches them with a bucket or just a empty feed back 80% of them will just t puppy dog and follow where ever you lead. But agin the crazies don't wanna submit lol. Out bull is actually a complete teddy bear , 2200lbs+ and will flip the smaller bull like a toy but he'll follow you anywhere and let you pet him if you have a hand full of sweet feed lol.

And trust me I know about them with calves. These woodland cattle are much worse than a regular mother.  I've found a few hog ranging from 150-300lbs gored by some of the horned females we had. Hogs will go after deer fawns no problem ( can actually call in boar's with a dawn in distress call ) so figure they try the same with calves, TRY  lol ? it's another reason I keep a loaded gun on me when I moving though this stuff because they will be bedded down with a new calf less then 10yd away and your not gonna know it till their bulldozing their way to you. Usually all it takes is a warning shot to turn them but I've had instincts where if it wasn't for my dogs ( I usually walk the line with a dog or three )I'd have to shoot that cow. 

Great stuff mate, what breed are the cattle ? 
I keep Australian Lowline which they call American Angus over there and they are nice quiet animals, bred for it in fact.

Do you do any electric wire training with them ?

Just now, Wolfdog91 said:

Dog proof? Is that like a mesh wire type of thing ?

Yeah. I've been at for Years now too. Thing is, different dogs have different requirements. Simple deterrents and visual barriers have more or less done before. The two little ones I have now are absolute Murder! 

It's a bit like a tiny microcosm of your mad cows. Quite mad. Nothing else to do all day but devise ways to upset us. And, as soon as I recognise their escape plans, and thwart them? Buggers find a new way out!

I'm raising the bar now. Six foot fencing pretty much all the way round. They ever scale That? I'm tying their little legs together! ?

1 minute ago, WILF said:

Great stuff mate, what breed are the cattle ? 
I keep Australian Lowline which they call American Angus over there and they are nice quiet animals, bred for it in fact.

Do you do any electric wire training with them ?

Ours are a mix  of black and red angus , corriento, bramer and a few others, had a few cattle me we've sold to say ours have a little something special about them because of the mix. We've been trying to breed more angus in them to make them more docile which has been working very well but the corriento genes are still kinda strong. But that help them stay hardy and a little fun lol.

And no nothing with electric. Just too much property and thick stuff to try and deal with it honestly. I've been pushing the old man to try it on the pastures closer to the house ( these where about a mile back). Would be real good for grazing rotation but due to the storms we get not sure how well it would work in a long term perspective. That being said though one of the cattle men we sell to said our cows have fought his electric fence.  Not saying it's not a good system definitely see it being useful onna few of our pastures but just not as a whole 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Wolfdog91 said:

Ours are a mix  of black and red angus , corriento, bramer and a few others, had a few cattle me we've sold to say ours have a little something special about them because of the mix. We've been trying to breed more angus in them to make them more docile which has been working very well but the corriento genes are still kinda strong. But that help them stay hardy and a little fun lol.

And no nothing with electric. Just too much property and thick stuff to try and deal with it honestly. I've been pushing the old man to try it on the pastures closer to the house ( these where about a mile back). Would be real good for grazing rotation but due to the storms we get not sure how well it would work in a long term perspective. That being said though one of the cattle men we sell to said our cows have fought his electric fence.  Not saying it's not a good system definitely see it being useful onna few of our pastures but just not as a whole 

Angus are hardy stuff and the Lowline will thrive on minimum forage.

I think it cost me about $2 per cow, per week to feed them indoors over winter.

With the electric, just run a length powered up in your shed and they will learn about it there.....you don’t have to do the whole place.

Then you can run it without power and they won’t go near it because they know what that coloured fence wire means.

Then you can run it off a spool with push in posts and divide up your paddocks like that.

You can mob graze half a field in the morning and the other half evening and just keep moving them and they will stay because they are afraid of the wire.

@Wolfdog91 A lad from your side of the pond called Gabe Brown is well worth a read when it comes to rotating cattle and lowering inputs on the farm.

He has a book called Dirt to Soil and it’s full of great ideas ?

20 hours ago, WILF said:

Angus are hardy stuff and the Lowline will thrive on minimum forage.

I think it cost me about $2 per cow, per week to feed them indoors over winter.

With the electric, just run a length powered up in your shed and they will learn about it there.....you don’t have to do the whole place.

Then you can run it without power and they won’t go near it because they know what that coloured fence wire means.

Then you can run it off a spool with push in posts and divide up your paddocks like that.

You can mob graze half a field in the morning and the other half evening and just keep moving them and they will stay because they are afraid of the wire.

That's pretty good ! What's the going price for beef over your way ? And I do like the idea of using electric as a trainer but the farm and cows and all the decisions fall on the old man and he's a bit set in his ways. Millitary officers never seem to learn their out and don't know everythjng but hay what can you do?? honestly I could set it up and with my own money and leave instructions and he'd take it down saying he didn't understand stand how to use it , ask me how I know ??

Edited by Wolfdog91
  • Haha 3
18 hours ago, Lenmcharristar said:

What was in the we pond??? Id be toooooo easily led away with a rod and a few maggots or worms to give that a chuck 

Probably just bream mabye some bass. I saw some bluegill in the shallows and I've fished it before but it's been a while. If I can get away from work and my lady freind for the week end I'll have to get some read worms or crickets and see. Theres also this one I found the other day on the same property

IMG_20210424_182203625.jpg.751f2e4f3fb3946dfffe1184555898de.jpg

Thinking about breaking out my 12' crappie rod so I don't have to disturb the weeds too much.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Wolfdog91 said:

Probably just bream mabye some bass. I saw some bluegill in the shallows and I've fished it before but it's been a while. If I can get away from work and my lady freind for the week end I'll have to get some read worms or crickets and see. Theres also this one I found the other day on the same property

IMG_20210424_182203625.jpg.751f2e4f3fb3946dfffe1184555898de.jpg

Thinking about breaking out my 12' crappie rod so I don't have to disturb the weeds too much.

Keep me updated with pics on here with the fishing wd

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Wolfdog91 said:

That's pretty good ! What's the going price for beef over your way ? And I do like the idea of using electric as a trainer but the farm and cows and all the decisions fall on the old man and he's a bit set in his ways. Millitary officers never seem to learn their out and don't know everythjng but hay what can you do?? honestly I could set it up and with my own money and leave instructions and he'd take it down saying he didn't understand stand how to use it , ask me how I know ??

Price of beef depends on a few factors, organic or non organic, factory meat or direct from farm.

If I was to sell mine direct I’d be looking for €14 a kilo for a 10 kilo mixed box.

That close to $17 a kilo or $8.50 a lb 

• 2 weeks later...

Just another pic , pinpointed the break out artists and sold em off.  Toolk all of 15min from getting the herd in to,sorting and loading, basically just walked in the trailer, kinda boring actually,makes me miss the days when I was jumping up the side of the catch pen as a pissed off ole cow came charging . But what can ya do,changing times and all ?Brought pretty decent for just four.

IMG_20210509_074826291_HDR.jpg.94eb7e6710f2b39111acbb9766457746.jpgScreenshot_20210512-193758_1.png.e78cfb0a1b030e723c68f1b3b012b3dc.png

Edited by Wolfdog91
  • Like 3