This mornings arrival

18 minutes ago, Stockpot said:

Nothing like new life about the place to make you appreciate things. Dexter? Bull or Heifer?

Australian Lowline , heifer calf mate 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, WILF said:

Australian Lowline , heifer calf mate 

I know very little about cattle Wilf (bar to stay clear of bullocks whilst lamping) why that breed rather than the smallholders fave, the Dexter?

3 hours ago, Bosun11 said:

I know very little about cattle Wilf (bar to stay clear of bullocks whilst lamping) why that breed rather than the smallholders fave, the Dexter?

Few reasons mate, first off they are very rare over here so I wanted something nobody else has got ( I think there is only one other person in the republic)

Then it’s feed conversion, kill out weight, temperament and beef quality and small size which would be kinder to my type of land. 

• Like 6
Just now, socks said:

What size herd are you running mate or going to run. 

I only have small acreage mate, but with these I can happily run about 10.

I want to get to 10 and sell all the calves off of those every year if I can......it’s a long process mate but that where I’d like to be.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, WILF said:

I only have small acreage mate, but with these I can happily run about 10.

I want to get to 10 and sell all the calves off of those every year if I can......it’s a long process mate but that where I’d like to be.

Won’t you get a better return by selling for meat at on the hook price .......

Just now, socks said:

Won’t you get a better return by selling for meat at on the hook price .......

Bull calves will probably go for meat mate, but heifer Lowlines are valuable and idea for smallholders like me.

They won’t really fit in the commercial system but for smallholders they are brilliant.

Theres also lot of regulation over here to sell your own meat and if I can avoid all that I will as much as I can.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, WILF said:

Bull calves will probably go for meat mate, but heifer Lowlines are valuable and idea for smallholders like me.

They won’t really fit in the commercial system but for smallholders they are brilliant.

Theres also lot of regulation over here to sell your own meat and if I can avoid all that I will as much as I can.

hope it goes well mate, and your herd ok , fookin pigs= badgers have wiped out few beef farmers , they need good cull on them, far to many about, i see load more than ever when ive been lamping , the numbers have shot up in 10 years .

2 minutes ago, bird said:

hope it goes well mate, and your herd ok , fookin pigs= badgers have wiped out few beef farmers , they need good cull on them, far to many about, i see load more than ever when ive been lamping , the numbers have shot up in 10 years .

They tend to get “run over” a lot round here ! 

1 minute ago, WILF said:

They tend to get “run over” a lot round here ! 

haha  , yeh and here lol, farmers hate the bloody things , i got on small farm 30 acres  , had few sheep on it, was loosing few lambs, farmer said will that big dog sort out few foxes , as he wasnt keen on guns around the place , he said he seen few pigs knocking round his place as well, i told him  they take young lambs as well , they dont all eat worms etc   lol

• Like 1