Foreshore guides

Are there any guides left that take people onto marshes and foreshore. I've always wanted to shoot the Wash but also interested in the solway or other coastal areas. I've done plenty of wildfowling but now only have time for 2-3 trips a year so it's not worth being in a club

If only this request had been a bit ago. Big Bev Chapman from Appleby Magna was the man to know. He and his son were inseparable and we we spent a lot of hours on both  the Wash and Solway. Myself, Bev, Stuart, Rich Starkey, Graham Hogg, John Bailey, Martin Windridge, Martin Rose and a few I can’t remember. Geeez they were the days. If I can recall a morning, please forgive me  but my gut is already bursting. Big Bev lead us out in pitch blackness warning no lights gentlemen please. We had to scale a dyke bridge of about 12 inches and about 3 yards. A voice, reasonably quiet in total darkness, pleaded, dad, I’m stuck. Shut up you fool. But dad I’m stuck. Get out of it you idiot. Dad, I’m wearing your wellies which are a few two sizes too big. We were laughing so hard the geese probably thought what the Fock stay where we are, safe as houses. Stuart clambered onto the bridge without footwear and endured, probably, 4 hours of cold hell sitting in the “couch”. If anyone can give you that kind of fun then just go for it. Jok.

On 12/03/2021 at 19:12, DIDO.1 said:

Are there any guides left that take people onto marshes and foreshore. I've always wanted to shoot the Wash but also interested in the solway or other coastal areas. I've done plenty of wildfowling but now only have time for 2-3 trips a year so it's not worth being in a club

have you thought about Morcam Bay wildfowlers, I think they used to be in the Basc day permit scheme .

4 hours ago, derbyduck said:

have you thought about Morcam Bay wildfowlers, I think they used to be in the Basc day permit scheme .

I'm not in basc since they sold out hunting. So I've not really looked into the scheme. Morecambe, westmorland and even dee fowlers are near enough to put my name down for but I really didn't have time to commit to a club with work days and probation periods. I might only manage 2 trips a year. I also don't have a dog so that's another reason I don't want to go on my own. 

18 hours ago, gnipper said:

You could try and join our local club but you'll probably have kicked the bucket by the time you get in.

From Southport to Lytham I think there are at least 4 clubs but not a chance of even getting on a waiting list 

• 1 year later...

Just been reading this again and some thoughts and memories come to mind. Only as regards the Solway, access is the biggest barrier. Now, right or wrong, because it has been a long while, our access was just up the road from Newton Stewart where we met one of the foreshore farmers. These guys pay a rent to the Crown allowing them to graze their sheep. It does not allow trespass to gain access for anyone to the foreshore. If however you take the chance, access via the burns (creeks) does not break any laws. As soon as  you get to the high tide mark then all is good. Word of warning. Don’t shoot too many geese,hahaha, as the trek back to the main road would be fairly difficult. Incidentally I don’t know about dogs. Have they to swim it or risk the ire of the bay watchers (rangers). Met a couple of them as well. At this time of writing I don’t know if these rules still apply. Jok.

3 hours ago, jok said:

Yes D this was in the 80’s. We certainly has some great times.the little Newton Stewart pub with the cockney landlord was particularly raucous as I recall. Jok.

We used to go, Powfoot, Cummertrees, Annan. First time I've ever had an egg done in the chip fryer (Annan Post office, chippy and General store) ?

Cheers, D.

• Like 1

I've shot all those places over the years, Wigtown and Creetown wildfowlers. I've sort of lost my contacts up there and just turning up freelancing isn't as easy anymore. I don't really want to commit the time to a club anymore, I know there are plenty on the East Coast looking for members. Would be good just to find an old school guide for that occasional outing. Never shot the east coast or wash area so equally would be needed if I didn't want to but the time in joining a club. Not being lazy just don't have the time to join anything else