Nellie ,Kelpie/Collie x whippet

On 28/02/2021 at 14:54, Neal said:

I once had a pure kelpie which looked like a whippet cross...does that count??? People regularly asked me, "What was the whippet mated to?" either that or they thought she was a Manchester terrier.

I regulary get asked if hes a manchester terrier aswell ?

20180930_160640.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
On 28/02/2021 at 18:42, troyboy17 said:

What tts do u think she will make should make a good rabbiting dog

I doubt she will be very tall at all ,however I do own a brother to the sire of this bitch whos

sire was imported from Aussie from a working kennel to give more working blood lines in Nz & help it has .

4 hours ago, toolebox said:

I doubt she will be very tall at all ,however I do own a brother to the sire of this bitch whos

sire was imported from Aussie from a working kennel to give more working blood lines in Nz & help it has .

My "whippety" bitch was only about 18" and (if memory serves me well) only 26 lbs. In comparison, my current males are both about the same at 22" and 43ish lbs.

On 28/02/2021 at 14:54, Neal said:

I once had a pure kelpie which looked like a whippet cross...does that count??? People regularly asked me, "What was the whippet mated to?" either that or they thought she was a Manchester terrier.

Funny you mention Manchester terrier. I sometimes have a walk near a reservoir a few miles from me and twice I’ve seen this fella with two dogs on their leads. They look like Manchester terriers, but they’re not and for some reason in my mind they look like what I would imagine some kelpie whippets would to look like....bit like sleights purdys progress dogs.

16 hours ago, Shortstraw said:

Funny you mention Manchester terrier. I sometimes have a walk near a reservoir a few miles from me and twice I’ve seen this fella with two dogs on their leads. They look like Manchester terriers, but they’re not and for some reason in my mind they look like what I would imagine some kelpie whippets would to look like....bit like sleights purdys progress dogs.

Yeah, they could be. Because they were imported into the country because of their working ability as opposed to their looks, they're a mixed bunch. My smallest was Scout but I've heard of some being up to 24ish" and although the coat colour is always a particular one of several different varieties, the coat itself can vary a lot. Rusty had a ruff like a Highland collie, moulted like a husky and a bottle brush tail like a fox. Scout had a short tight oily coat and a tail like a whippet lurcher and Noggin's is a couple of inches longer and more like a German shepherd. I think about 1/4 have floppy ears too. One of Ned's is floppy, whereas Rusty's ears were like reinforced leather...I literally couldn't bend them back. Some look more like black and tan collies whereas others are quite bully or even like litter wastage from a greyhound first cross.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

I think Nellie is about 41/2 months old now & she hasn't grown much at all ,a bit more length in the loin that's about it .She looks like 100%  whippet and shows no kelpie at all ,however she's very very zippy ,runs tight corners  and can change direction on a dime ,I will update some pictures in the next couple of days .I will use her along side the ferrets & long nets. 

• Like 2