Boar near Woodbridge Suffolk

• 5 weeks later...

On 12/01/2021 at 17:11, Suffolkpest said:

There's been a couple of sightings of boar near Woodbridge. Anyone else heard similar?

I found sign of boar in a large woodland some years ago were they are not meant to be and got the piss ripped out of me for saying so then two years later the police turned up at a farm and asked him if he had lost some pigs, as we have had reports of a dozen black pigs crossing the road at night, they can be quite elusive when in small numbers with enough cover ??

• Like 2

If boar are in this area for that many years either somone is actively reducing the numbers or there are a lot there.  If they are in residence it will be noticeable.   Fields and orchards will be turned over like they have been plowed.

On 17/02/2021 at 19:41, Meece said:

If boar are in this area for that many years either somone is actively reducing the numbers or there are a lot there.  If they are in residence it will be noticeable.   Fields and orchards will be turned over like they have been plowed.

There's a fare sized bit of forestry and moorland down around that way and a feck of a lot of deer of all sorts as well so signs of sign might be missed ,i'm down that way a lot during the summer as i pass through woodbridge when launching my boat and my hunting/fishing pal is a local lad who knows all the big land owners in the area and he's not heard anything as such but who knows if there about or it's just escaped pigs as the land is very light and a huge amount of pigs are field reared around the area..

9 hours ago, fireman said:

There's a fare sized bit of forestry and moorland down around that way and a feck of a lot of deer of all sorts as well so signs of sign might be missed ,i'm down that way a lot during the summer as i pass through woodbridge when launching my boat and my hunting/fishing pal is a local lad who knows all the big land owners in the area and he's not heard anything as such but who knows if there about or it's just escaped pigs as the land is very light and a huge amount of pigs are field reared around the area..

If boar are on the ground there will be a lot of signs.  A lot of people don't notice all sorts of things even though they may walk a piece of ground.  It's stuff like are there track marks in that muddy bit.?  Are there hairs caught up on that bit of barbed wire.?  What is causing this turf to be disturbed.?  But from what I've seen generally if there is a family group, a piece of ground on day one looks like a bit of digging with a garden spade, day two someone used a rotorvator, day three someone was out there with a tractor and plough or a set of ripper bars. 

Ps. They are highly intelligent and are very switched on.  They don't freak out and unlike a fox they don't bolt off into the next county if disturbed.  If you went out lòkijg for them They would probably move around you and you'd come away thinking that there was nothing there.  The more that you think you know the reality is the less you know.  On one occasion we drove a wood and moved a group.  Then we drove the wood in the opposite direction and they were still in there.   They can run across a ploughed field faster than you could ride a pushbike flat out along a tarmac road.  Be careful they can be very dangerous. 

Edited by Meece
  • Like 2