Just thought I'd share a couple nattys I've made during lockdown.

The one on the right is now my faveouite shooter the one on the left has some very interesting spalting but is a bit of a small fork width for me so may give to a friend or family member.

Both forks worked on with a folding saw / pocket knife / small file / sandpaper / polyeurethane spray varnish.

Not sure what the wood is perhaps beech or hawthorne and I quite like leaving a bit of bark on it helps with grip. Really liking the feel of nattys more and more compared to my other hdpe or boardcut cattys.

20210108_112443.jpg

• Like 7

On 11/01/2021 at 17:44, Greyman said:

Cracking pair of natty,s mate, said it before but to me it’s the purest form of hunting, a stick some elastic and a bit of leather??

thankyou very much. I've started seeing potential forks everywhere when out on walks now lol.

• Like 1
On 13/01/2021 at 15:46, ger2020 said:

thankyou very much. I've started seeing potential forks everywhere when out on walks now lol.

Cut enough between December and end of feb mate so you have forks for the year, they have less moisture in and won’t split when they dry I just keep a cardboard box in the garage and throw in any nice ones I find in spring some have been in there for years ?

• Like 1
On 13/01/2021 at 15:46, ger2020 said:

Cut enough between December and end of feb mate so you have forks for the year, they have less moisture in and won’t split when they dry I just keep a cardboard box in the garage and throw in any nice ones I find in spring some have been in there for years ?

• Like 1
On 19/01/2021 at 11:01, Greyman said:

brilliant good tip thankyou!

You can make a Natty from just about any tree, some have better grain than others , IMO you can’t beat a Yew ( not nice to work with) Natty they throw up some lovely colours. The good thing about making your own is you can create it to suit your individual needs... there’s a guy on Facebook who makes em and they don’t hang about.. sold within minutes!.

06092B8A-F3B6-42B3-9A4B-08CEA7D50028.jpeg

• Like 1