Hares? Cage trapping?

Is it possible to cage trap hares and if so what trap and bait am I best using? I've trapped plenty of rabbits in cages over the years but never heard of anyone trapping hares. Some at work being a nuisance and need shifting and shooting and snaring won't work where they are.

Cheers 

2 hours ago, gnipper said:

Is it possible to cage trap hares and if so what trap and bait am I best using? I've trapped plenty of rabbits in cages over the years but never heard of anyone trapping hares. Some at work being a nuisance and need shifting and shooting and snaring won't work where they are.

Cheers 

I think that they would  batter their selves to death if caught in a cage as i seen to boxes that were for transporting them were made with little space to move about in , snaring them is not really an option as those that i have caught go into shock very quickly, the tried and tested method is netting but i am told that you must move them on quickly or they die .

• Like 1

Creatures of habit .You kick one up it does a circuit and back to same spot .Many a hare been netted in a gap by just being observant .Place the net over the gap without fixing and she tangles herself .Done it many times in the past just for the hell of it .

• Like 1
6 hours ago, foxdropper said:

Creatures of habit .You kick one up it does a circuit and back to same spot .Many a hare been netted in a gap by just being observant .Place the net over the gap without fixing and she tangles herself .Done it many times in the past just for the hell of it .

As above I agree a net is without doubt a better option, snaring works well, but not done that for years, netting isn’t that hard if you are observant enough, 

6 hours ago, foxdropper said:

When i was living on hippy sites i long netted loads  of hares over the years by just having a walk about on my own,kicking them up and just watching where out the field they ran. Then i'd set the net the next day and just walk with a terrier to keep them moving into the it and to grab hold of them if i was lagging getting onto them as they do kick a tad when netted..

Edited by fireman

Yes they do Steve ?some scream  ,some just sit quiet but they all have that terrified look in their eyes which is why I stopped doing it .Don’t like hare to eat so released them all .If it’s a gap under a rail fence in the grass ,put  a few stones on the net top ,if it’s a hedge gap just drape the net over a few thin branches ,gap in a dry stone wall ,tuck the net lightly into a few stone gaps above .

Like Steve said pressure them a bit and you’ll have her .

• Like 1

Moons ago I lent someone a cage trap to get a hare out of a garden. The situation was a row of bungalows with a field behind, and with it being summer the old folk were leaving backdoors and patios open to keep cool. There was this one young hare which kept coming into their gardens, a joy to see. But over time it became braver and literally started hoping inside shitting on their carpets and gnawing on TV Ariel's and power cables.

So, a younger member of the neighborhood came and borrowed a standard rabbit cage trap. Baited it with carrots, a few small offerings leading into it and within a week returned the trap having caught and relocated the hare.

I think this was an exceptional case, never heard of anyone else catching a hare in cage before.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, gnipper said:

I've never heard of any accidental hare catches either,  I was thinking of maybe seeing if I can get them eating apples/carrots and making some bigger bunny cages out of 2 inch mesh and having a go.

Worth trying, might get some handy bycatch even if no hares.