Attempting bullet casting

2100 works for hunting. You need to get a blackpowder rifle the smell and smoke cloud after a home cast bullet would be like heaven. A .45LC model 92 or a 45-70G Marlin would be inexpensive, a percussion rifle are also easy and cheap to load.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Finally got most of the stuff I felt I need to start casting my own bullets.  Made my first small run tonight. Didn't even get half way though my 10lbs lead pot and have close to 100 or so .225 dia 55

Well got my first batch of powder coated bullets done. Think the traffic cone puple color is gonna cause a few laughs at the range but hay all good fun ?

Did some one say muzzleloader!

Posted Images

14 minutes ago, KimE said:

Friends at the 100m range two Model 1867 12,7/50-70 Husqvarna Rolling blocks one model 1860 percussion rifle.

797BEFE2-FD72-4798-81AB-CD2244485E3D.jpeg

C90EF44F-6341-4682-8FB7-A6AE5824456F.jpeg

Looks like fun ! One of my favorite YouTubera does alot of black powder shooting. Guy is hungarian and has an amazing channel if your into black powder.

https://youtu.be/sCGg6NMCYMU

But yeah a muzzle loader is on the bucket list but haven't quite found what I want exactly. Have been looking at kits for a bit but no one seems to makes a .32cal kit that's doesn't cost less than $600 would buy a complete rifle but why do that when you can do a kit and ad some personal touches lolScreenshot_20210117-015709.png.65b93f2ae8585f4cc79a6c734c6943f1.png

Well got my sorting and BHN testing video done gonna be around the 25th before I can do any actual realoding. Found out both of my calipers are lacking and need to order a new par to properly measure my shoulder bump. Also had to order a universal recapping die so I can make a split case and measure my rifles CBTO. If it's not on thing it's another ?

• Like 1

Why do you need to messure the shoulder bump? If your rifle have fired the cases you just might need to necksize them or to partial size them. If you use them in several different rifles just full lenght size them so you dont have problems in your AR. What are CBTO? If you want to messure the coal take an fired case pressure the neck with a tool or against your bench so it can hold a bullet, chamber it , push it out with a cleaning rod and messure the lenght.

• Like 2
36 minutes ago, KimE said:

Why do you need to messure the shoulder bump? If your rifle have fired the cases you just might need to necksize them or to partial size them. If you use them in several different rifles just full lenght size them so you dont have problems in your AR. What are CBTO? If you want to messure the coal take an fired case pressure the neck with a tool or against your bench so it can hold a bullet, chamber it , push it out with a cleaning rod and messure the lenght.

AR-15's and similar require you do a full length sizing. Unless you have one if the bolt action uppers your going to have to full length size . I generally full length resize all my brass though.  Not to mention 70%if my brass are range pickups.( Probably have close to 2000 piece if various .223/5.56 brass j picked up for free at the local range. One man's trash and all that.)I want to be able to measure my shoulder bump to make sure I'm working my brass down only as much as I need (like 3 thousands mabye 5 but that's it). Found out that just using my dues the way the instructions say had me pushing my shoulder back as far as 20thousands. And with components getting scarce like they are (especially for some of my calibers like 6.5 Grendel) I'd like to keep my brass working for as long as possible. Going to start annealing too to supposed to ba able to get up to 15 or so firings in most brass if you anneal properly .So  the more precise I can be with moving bumping my shoulder the better. Also I like being able to try and control as many factors as I can with my reloads to a degree. Is it needed ,not really but just how I am lol.

CBTO  is similar to COAL just a bit more precise. Basically where COAL measures from the tip of the bullet to the bas of the case CBTO measures from the Ogive to the base of the case. The Ogive being the part of the bullet where the lands actually touch the bullet . CBTO-1-1024x900.jpg.037fec2a12952b2c7bdaad14dabd8c76.jpg

And actually using the method your talking about your really getting a rough CBTO measure. My groups have shrunk ever since I switched.  This guy shoots and explains better than I can lol.

Also I do use a method similar to yours ? I take a dremel tool and split the neck so I can squeeze the bullet. Same general idea though basically like this but mine always end up looking a little tougher ?

images.jpeg.e5f1c6cb05347f4ca9d4090d51ffb6af.jpeg

• Like 2
6 hours ago, Sausagedog said:

That's swell but are you entering a match with these cast rounds? I thought you were just trying it out?

I was hoping these were going to be tested on varmints.

I'd like to but no matches or anything local lol. Closest I'd get is mabye me and another guy at the range seeing who can shoot what better.

I am just trying it out but I tend to go overboard when I try something ? Especially if I'm doing videos, really wanna squeeze as much performance and accuracy as I can and see just how good I can get them to work

• Like 2

But once I get the accuracy and power down I'll probably be trying there's on hogs and mabye some fox and coyote if I can ever get my preator calling set up and running.

But I do have a few more calibers to cast for as well. The Hornet will probably be a starling and grackle slayer. NOE has a 38gran HP mold I really like the looks of and have here it preforms wonderfully in the hornet on game

Edited by Wolfdog91
  • Like 1

What do you think sizing the cases 0,5mm are to much? Messuring the lenght on the ogive will give you a more precise messure but your seating die will give the cartridges a lenght based on the shape of the cup inside them anyway.

I've only had chance once with 8 loads, they were landing well @100yds just need to try and get out a bit more and see if I can fine tune them now.

20200429_200803.jpg.f387be10cf622f1d28eaac12987af65b.jpg

Using 2oz tin 1lbs antimony and 6lbs lead mix.

20200504_101703.jpg.7d594f823b4485da497f55b8ee2a5eb1.jpg

It gives me around 21BNH so don't want to exceed 28,000psi, ones I tried were around 22,000psi so room for manouver 

•