Alright guys,im getting some chucks,for a few eggs and occasional meat,Whats the best breed or cross for the job? I only want half a dozen or so.What age would they start laying or be ready for culling? Do they lay all year round or only certain times? Any help please?

chucks, does that mean chickens?

personally i'm fond of my ducks, and get an 2 good sized eggs a day from them(turns out i have two hens. one just started laying..)

my mom has chickens though. i forget the names of them. but they lay the colourful spotty eggs... Arakana or something.. she has yet to kill one though. she's all bluster lol however if they dont stay out of my rabbits and stop eating their food I'M going to kill one or two... for laying there was a spell when they all stopped for some reason.. then started again.. but those were a different breed.. Bantams or hybrid of something.. they had small eggs..

Hi Waz,

I have kept Light Sussex as dual purpose for the last 4 years, we have a good strain which produce 4-5 eggs a week and we also rear a few for the table each year. They are not fast to put weight on but reach a good killing weight without too much fuss.

Take care to get the right stock whichever breed you get as many have been selectively bred for the show bench rather than production.

Tabs

Alright guys,im getting some chucks,for a few eggs and occasional meat,Whats the best breed or cross for the job? I only want half a dozen or so.What age would they start laying or be ready for culling? Do they lay all year round or only certain times? Any help please?

Nice one wazz :thumbs:

Personally, I keep my layers as layers, and rear the meat ones for meat. I have always found that the x breds are very hardy and great egg layers. I have light sussex x rhode islands - rock x - and a few french marran.

Depending on how you want to go about the meat side of things, I'd get yourself a bantam hen. They go broody a few times a year and sit tight as. My little banty hatched out two clutches last year, and I seperated the cock birds out for the meat rearing. They free ranged for about 4 months, then I bought them in to a big stable for about 6 weeks, to finish off on growers and corn mixed. dont get me wrong - they were'nt confined in a small space - but just kept warm and dry to try and get a bit better cover on them. They turned out to be about 5lb'ers - with an amazing taste.

The meat has a much firmer texture to it but the flavour is outa this world. Also, you dont seem to get the breast meat in huge amounts, but the legs on 'em were like Linford Christies!!

:clapper: good on you for having a go

You cant go far wrong with Light Sussex.

If you use a RIR cock bird, you will have sex-linked chicks. The brown (female) offspring are good layers, and the white (male) are ok table birds.

We used to get a good 2-3 laying seasons out of our pure breeds - the hybrid layers are OK for a season, then they seem to burn out.

If you dont want to go down the pure breed route, a few warrens/bovans will give you lots of eggs, and table birds are cheap (excuse the pun) as day olds, and reach killing weight quickly.

The other option is off lay free range birds off poultry farmers. There's one near here who gives em away as he has to pay for disposal. Once they've moulted, they go back on lay, and you get a good second season out of them.

They go off the lay in the shorter days ,too short a day and a bit cold , have kept them all my life, i usually buy some ex battery birds and after they have moulted they get a new lease of life for a year loving the good life, then they end up as chicken curry!!

Guest Ditch_Shitter

No, no NO, Confused! You truly Are confused here, mate! Ye see, I'm the Undisputed Supreme Chicken Curry Maker of this place! :toast: In fact, by public demand, I'm just off to publish my personal recipe. I've even been confiding in friends that I may well decide to open a Chicken Curry Takeaway from my isolated cottage. I cook 'em, and they'll come! :laugh:

Anyway, what is it with us chicken curry affectionado's? I too wouldn't thank ye for a whisky; Unless it was Jamesons or Tullamore Dew! :good:

No, no NO, Confused! You truly Are confused here, mate! Ye see, I'm the Undisputed Supreme Chicken Curry Maker of this place! :toast: In fact, by public demand, I'm just off to publish my personal recipe. I've even been confiding in friends that I may well decide to open a Chicken Curry Takeaway from my isolated cottage. I cook 'em, and they'll come! :laugh:

Anyway, what is it with us chicken curry affectionado's? I too wouldn't thank ye for a whisky; Unless it was Jamesons or Tullamore Dew! :good:

Yes,yesYES ,you are correct ,i am confused, :yes: it says that on my name :D , and again you are correct about the whiskEy, Jamesons/or better still a wee drop of the dew !!! mmmmm,i can taste it now :thumbs: but you are buy'n :thumbs::drink: ,cheers :D i'm of for a bunny

If your struggling to find a supplier of your birds check out Cyril basons website,,www.cyril-bason.co.uk. He also offers a delivery service anywhere in the Uk.And you can order as little as 6 birds.I personally use him myself and cant fault the service.

:thumbs: :thumbs: