A Bit Of Info

Nice video mate. Excellent set up you have there. It's always interesting to see how other people keep their ferrets. Luckily the heat isn't such a big issue in the UK, keeping the runs dry is my main problem at the moment. It's been virtually non stop rain for a month.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, andysparks said:

Nice video mate. Excellent set up you have there. It's always interesting to see how other people keep their ferrets. Luckily the heat isn't such a big issue in the UK, keeping the runs dry is my main problem at the moment. It's been virtually non stop rain for a month.

Make a tent frame from square steel tube cover it with water proof material, wouldn't take up any extra room and the cages will stay bone dry and warmer, just move it aside in summer if its to hot. Just an idea.

Fantastic video with great information the cooling system is some thing I will be doing , I do have a system but not as simple and as good as what you have. The ferrets I like to use are the cut bucks as they are bigger and can defend for themselves this is only what I like everyone has their own opinion,but sometimes I will run a brother and sister. Once again great video and once this covid is over I will be coming up for a day out.  

• Like 2
2 hours ago, TOMO said:

question for you ozzy chaps....

are the rabbits worth selling over there at the moment....is there any money in it to be worth bothering with

Only pocket money mate. Used to be, better money in roos now for pet food

• Like 2
18 hours ago, Sirblessed said:

Make a tent frame from square steel tube cover it with water proof material, wouldn't take up any extra room and the cages will stay bone dry and warmer, just move it aside in summer if its to hot. Just an idea.

That's a bloody good idea, time to get planning I think.

• Like 1

Hi mate I’m thinking about getting a pair of ferrets in the near future, but before I commit there’s a few things I’d like to know lol.

I work 10 hour days, would the ferrets be ok in a hutch all day while I’m at work, then let them out to have a run about in the garden when I finish? I could also let them out before work.

What size hutch would I need to house the pair of them comfortably all day?

When I was a kid my dad kept a ferret that had a hutch attached to a big run. The size of this run about 1m x 3m. Is this size really needed if you’re gonna let them out every day?

I see it’s a thing now people keep them as indoor pets now, I take it it’s still okay to keep them outside (I’m from the uk)

I suppose really I’m just wondering if it easy to keep them while you work a full time job? 

thanks and sorry for all the questions lol?

7 hours ago, jas27 said:

Hi mate I’m thinking about getting a pair of ferrets in the near future, but before I commit there’s a few things I’d like to know lol.

I work 10 hour days, would the ferrets be ok in a hutch all day while I’m at work, then let them out to have a run about in the garden when I finish? I could also let them out before work.

What size hutch would I need to house the pair of them comfortably all day?

When I was a kid my dad kept a ferret that had a hutch attached to a big run. The size of this run about 1m x 3m. Is this size really needed if you’re gonna let them out every day?

I see it’s a thing now people keep them as indoor pets now, I take it it’s still okay to keep them outside (I’m from the uk)

I suppose really I’m just wondering if it easy to keep them while you work a full time job? 

thanks and sorry for all the questions lol?

Just my opinion and they will vary 600 x 1.5 meters should be ok bit small for my liking but adequate, if you are letting them out or working them should be fine, I have never kept ferrets inside and never will ? I will say the bigger you can manage the better for them obviously and ferrets love company, keep in mind weather you intend to breed or not and do some research into what is required if keeping more than one. I would imagine it would be a pretty lonely existence for a ferret kept alone for a lifetime, ferrets like any pet are a commitment and not one that should be undertaken without some serious thought.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Sirblessed said:

Just my opinion and they will vary 600 x 1.5 meters should be ok bit small for my liking but adequate, if you are letting them out or working them should be fine, I have never kept ferrets inside and never will ? I will say the bigger you can manage the better for them obviously and ferrets love company, keep in mind weather you intend to breed or not and do some research into what is required if keeping more than one. I would imagine it would be a pretty lonely existence for a ferret kept alone for a lifetime, ferrets like any pet are a commitment and not one that should be undertaken without some serious thought.

Thanks mate, I can offer something of that size, probably bigger and a smallish run with multiple lifts and time outside in the garden. I plan on working them when I can, I can get permission on a bit of land already and if I do get the ferrets I plan on getting permission for other places.

The last ferret we had had a bit of a whiff to it and it was cleaned out everyday with the run being cleaned every few days, so these would be staying outside as well lol.

I dont plan on breeding but want to get a pair so they can be company for each other. I never knew they did better in pairs, our last one seemed pretty happy but he did have a lot of human contact and my dad worked him quite a bit too lol. 

It’s just a thought for now, I will look into a bit more first, cheers ?

• Like 1