The geese have landed

Whilst typing this, I can hear the sound of several thousand greys flying over the cottage and dropping in on a stubble field just 300yds away but not on my land.

There are now about 10k greys and a number of canadas all around the village edges with a thousand or so just starting to drop on one of our fields so we are giving them a day or two to settle and number of others will follow. Deeks out of the loft, pity they are all canada deeks but better than nothing (might try to paint them at some stage) and put up a hide for the duration.  Fingers crossed and we do need luck as there are so many stubble fields which are only a few minutes from the River Humber, they are spoilt for choice.

Last year we had huge numbers around but none on our perms although we missed out on one perm as the geese were on the potatoes but we didn't know as it is an area that normally is a waste of time, just shows you cannot assume anything. ?

Phil

• Like 7

I wouldn’t bother painting your decoys, I’ve found greylag will come to Canada decoys no problem. 
          I can still remember the buzz when the white fronts used to turn up on the Severn. Hearing them through the mist in the morning . I think it’s called goose fever .?? Good luck Phil 

• Like 4

Well this morning, there were far greater numbers teasing me just over our cottage and dropping in the same place but this morning I could hear quite a few shots ringing out so some lucky chaps have been enjoying themselves whilst I look on with the curtains wide open in the comfort of my bed although I would give that up in a flash to be under them.

Phil

• Like 3
3 hours ago, philpot said:

Well this morning, there were far greater numbers teasing me just over our cottage and dropping in the same place but this morning I could hear quite a few shots ringing out so some lucky chaps have been enjoying themselves whilst I look on with the curtains wide open in the comfort of my bed although I would give that up in a flash to be under them.

Phil

Draw your curtains and stop goosing them hunters from your bedroom window!

• Haha 1

Just popped back home for a coffee to find three greys in the field 30mts over my garden wall, I spooked them and they flew off.  Had I come in through the front door, I could have got the rimmy ........................................... ?

Phil

• Sad 1