left handed open / close knife

Carried a wenger swiss army knife my brother gave me most the time for the past decade, carried a few other sturdier knives but come back to it as its nice and small in the pocket and does most things i want but can be real pain needing both hands to open it halfway through something. So I'm after a reliable folder i can open and close with my left hand. Doesn't need to be anything special just hold a decent edge a while about 3" blade seems sufficient for most things.

Thank you

Yes a lot of choice out there. Depends what your budget is. If you go for something with blade steel S35VN you won't go far wrong. If you are after a light weight knife the Boker Plus Exskelibur II is nice. I have one and can't fault it. No thumb stud but the action is so smooth it can easily be pinched open with one hand. https://www.heinnie.com/boker-plus-exskelibur-ii-carbon-fibre

VG10 is another good blade material to look out for. I have a Spiderco Delica new in a box which i would sell. Pm if interested. It has a thumb hole and is easily opened with one hand. https://www.heinnie.com/spyderco-delica-flat-ground

On 19/08/2020 at 21:18, GruffaloGriff said:

Yes a lot of choice out there. Depends what your budget is. If you go for something with blade steel S35VN you won't go far wrong. If you are after a light weight knife the Boker Plus Exskelibur II is nice. I have one and can't fault it. No thumb stud but the action is so smooth it can easily be pinched open with one hand. https://www.heinnie.com/boker-plus-exskelibur-ii-carbon-fibre

VG10 is another good blade material to look out for. I have a Spiderco Delica new in a box which i would sell. Pm if interested. It has a thumb hole and is easily opened with one hand. https://www.heinnie.com/spyderco-delica-flat-ground

I will have a look for those materials then. Personally for a working knife anything over about £40 seems steep unless it was something really special, I want to use and abuse it and am conscious i have lost a few over the years. I have a mora fixed blade that a love but I don't use much because of how awkward wearing a normal sheath is, a small fixed blade in a horizontal sheath on front of my hip would be perfect but most don't come like that. 

You can't go wrong with a Mora for a use & abuse knife. You could buy a  horizontal carry sheath for one. people make/sell them on ETSY .

You could even adapt an original sheath. with a couple of loops fitted around it so it can be worn horizontal on your belt.

These CLIPS are good for horizontal carry sheath making. I use them when i make a Kydex sheath.

38969703622_9f60bdecdd_b.jpgP1060532_zpsqhqtof1g by Terry Griffiths, on Flickr

25246814008_75e12bc0a4_b.jpgP1060883_zps3seusc9f by Terry Griffiths, on Flickr

The Moras are Sandvik stainless steel. If you go onto Heinnie Haynes and search for Sandvik it gives you quite a few options. You should pick up something for under £40. Just check with the frame/linear locks knives that they can be operated left handed as some are recess for the stud only on the Right.

This one seems to fit the bill though. QS Piglet.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...