Kick like a Blackpool donkey........

I picked a Fabarm semi auto with 26'' barrels the other week and took it to the local clay shoot on Thursday afternoon.  It is very quick to handle getting on the target with ease BUT it did not like my Eley Superb 28gr cartridges and in fact I tried a few different makes but it was not cycling any of them which is a pity as the first cartridge was breaking the clays very nicely with a fixed half choke, before jamming every time for the second shot.  It will not be any good for clays which is a pity as my daughter wanted to use it on occasions but that was never it's intended purpose.

Hmmm, I have not handed over the cash as yet but I do like this little gun and it is CHEAP so ideal for hide shooting on the pigeon and crows but I needed to find a suitable shell.  I just popped down to the local farm to try a few 29 and 32 gr cartridges, all of which were fine apart from just one 29gr shell but after shooting about 25 shells at quick rate to push the cycling sequence, I am happy with that.  The gun is fitted with hard plastic butt plate and I certainly felt the recoil on the 32gr shells so I have just taped on an Isis x pad ( not a good name) from Recoil Systems as I had one floating in my bits drawer which was fitted to a light sporter some years ago.  For those of you who are not familiar with these pads..................................well quite simply there is nothing else on the market to touch them and they blow Kickeeze pads out of the window.  It is not the right size but it will do to test and I may just take half an inch off the stock if needed assuming I am happy with the overall performance.

I have been happy with my Hull Cartridge Superfast Pigeon 29gr for birds dropping into the deeks but I would like to try some other cartridges perhaps 30gr so any suggestion boys as I have not used any for many years.

https://www.recoilsystems.com/xpad.php

Phil

13 hours ago, Sausagedog said:

It should cycle the eley.

Just what exactly was the malfunction?

It fires the first shot but either doesn't eject the first shell completely or doesn't bring the second into the chamber only making it halfway.  Not the case with heavier cartridges.  I do think the 30gr will be a nice fit for the gun and not too heavy.

Phil

1 hour ago, philpot said:

It fires the first shot but either doesn't eject the first shell completely or doesn't bring the second into the chamber only making it halfway.  Not the case with heavier cartridges.  I do think the 30gr will be a nice fit for the gun and not too heavy.

Phil

I would need to see the problem but usually it's something really subtle.

The shell lifter is often the issue but my first call would be to completely clean and dry the whole action of lubricant! That's right run it completely dry! Including the trigger group.

Often years of oil soak up years of combustion material and retard moving parts.

The fact a heavier cartridge just about operates the action supports this assumption!

?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
5 hours ago, Sausagedog said:

I would need to see the problem but usually it's something really subtle.

The shell lifter is often the issue but my first call would be to completely clean and dry the whole action of lubricant! That's right run it completely dry! Including the trigger group.

Often years of oil soak up years of combustion material and retard moving parts.

The fact a heavier cartridge just about operates the action supports this assumption!

?

I’ve had this with a beretta 20 gauge. Got it used and it wouldn’t cycle anything less than 28 grams, stripped it down and it was all gummed up with old oil and crap. Cleaned it all out and it cycled 25 gram three crowns straight away. Before I cleaned it out, it behaved how Phil explains about this fabarm with these cartridges. 

• Like 1

Well I stripped down the gun taking out the trigger unit as well and it was all very very clean in fact it looked like it had just come from the factory.

I tried 30gr Gamebore Clear Pigeon with some 32gr I tried yesterday but this time I tested three different butt pads including the Isis x pad, Beretta and Browning recoil pads and the outcome..................................fcuk it, it kicks like hell, it can go back to the shop, great pity but I have had enough.  Bugger it, I will see what else there is.

Phil

• Like 3
1 hour ago, philpot said:

Well I stripped down the gun taking out the trigger unit as well and it was all very very clean in fact it looked like it had just come from the factory.

I tried 30gr Gamebore Clear Pigeon with some 32gr I tried yesterday but this time I tested three different butt pads including the Isis x pad, Beretta and Browning recoil pads and the outcome..................................fcuk it, it kicks like hell, it can go back to the shop, great pity but I have had enough.  Bugger it, I will see what else there is.

Phil

That’s that then ??

It's the poor ole donkey getting the blame again.  If you are only shooting ounce loads how can this gun kick you about any more than shooting an ounce load out of an o/u.?  Either you ain't holding it right or the guns recoil system is out of adjustment.   I knew a bloke that had his grandads 5 shot browning from way back.  He wanted it for his son but ..... it kicked like a mule and wouldn't reload the second shot.  He had everyone look at it but no one checked the expansion  control rings.   Manufacturers spend fortunes on design and testing so that a machine will perform under a wide range of conditions.  The answer is there looking you in the face.  If the auto  system is even partially working it has to have less recoil than a gun with no give at all. You just got to have patience and thought to find the reason.

Same ole shit again meece, 'not holding the gun correctly' bla bla bla,       after winning a place in the north of England teams, the odd championship and a great many competitions around the country......................................................................I think I know how to hold and use a shotgun albeit an o/u and amazingly an auto but thanks for your valuable input.

Phil

• Haha 5

You'd best ignore Newtons 3rd law of physics and take it back to the shop then, and see if they've got a 410 available.. 28 gms of lead aint exactly a 416 Rigby. I know a bloke who suffers from mule,itus the local gunshop loves him.

40 minutes ago, Meece said:

You'd best ignore Newtons 3rd law of physics and take it back to the shop then, and see if they've got a 410 available.. 28 gms of lead aint exactly a 416 Rigby. I know a bloke who suffers from mule,itus the local gunshop loves him.

Fcuking dick head, you are so far up your own arse it must sting.  It is  'Newtons third law of motion'  so try to quote the right thing next time.

• Haha 6
1 hour ago, Meece said:

Meece, it's Phil's choice. It's no skin off your nose now is it!

We don't even know what type of mechanism it is and I don't recall Fabarm making a long recoiler in which case if the bushing was oiled it would offer little dampening to the function.

We also don't know the history of the gun!

Chill out, put the issue down and step back some ?

Philip has it all under control.

• Like 5

Probably get slated for this but dont care ,Phil try a mk2 Hatsan .

Mines 8 years old never missed a beat ,clean the gas ports ,oil the seals and away you go.

Fiocchi 28g no 7 all day ,recoil is fine as its designed to take 50g of bb .

If you're anywhere near this septic town you're welcome to try atb

• Like 2
30 minutes ago, Baldcoot said:

Probably get slated for this but dont care ,Phil try a mk2 Hatsan .

Mines 8 years old never missed a beat ,clean the gas ports ,oil the seals and away you go.

Fiocchi 28g no 7 all day ,recoil is fine as its designed to take 50g of bb .

If you're anywhere near this septic town you're welcome to try atb

Yes totally agree, the Hatsan has it's haters but I have had two and both were good as gold and sold them to pals, my mistake.  I am in the rfd tomorrow as I only borrowed the Fabarm as I often do with guns when they are s/h, in some cases to show other people and some cases just to try one out which was the case with the Fabarm, I just liked the look and feel of the gun and thought it would be nice in the hide.

I will have a look again to see what there is tomorrow.

Phil

• Like 1