LAMPING OR NIGHTVISION

32 members have voted

1. 1. YOUR CHOICE

• LAMP
    • NIGHTVISION
    • BOTH

I've used both and switched to NV a few years ago and although I totally agree that it is an awesome tool, I switched back to the lamp as that's all I'd ever been used to :thumbs:

what unit did you use ?

Dipol (D143 I think) Gen1 + doubler + extra Yukon infra red, I think I still have the bumph somewher here in waste mountain :laugh: , the one thing that used to crease me up was when I'd been on it for any length of time, when I switched off, I nearly always walked into something :laugh: I was always amazed at how close you could get to quarry and couldn't really miss :drink:

Night Vision if I'm on my own, lamp if there's two of us. I say this because with NV it's not much fun for whoever isn't doing the shooting unless they have a seperate nv monocular to see what's going on. :blink:

Good fun on the lamp but I find rats will bolt easier unlike NV where they tend to sit there for longer :thumbs:

Please no not take this as a personal insult, criticism, slur upon your intelligence or in any other way be offended..it is purely my personal observations based on a lot of night shooting using a lot of different equipment with a lot of different powers of guns over a lot of terrain...I do not know it all and I have not used everything on the market

As usual there is no simple answer...

£5000 worth of the latest military nightvision wins every time..but we are not allowed it and not many can afford it...and then what do you do in the daytime...bit tiresome to keep swapping scopes so another dedicated gun is required.

The cheap nightvision still costs loads and is hardly adequate for an air rifle.

It is great to enjoy some company when shooting and "sharing" a lamp so you can all see is fine, but if you want serious shooting it must be expensive nightvision, and stuff your mates if they cant see..you get to bag everything.

There will always be a market and usage for "lamping kits" and those with dimmers are particularly useful...it is a bit difficult walking down a bramble strewn woodland path on a black night using "nightvision", or hunting for shot bunny who just made it back to the hedgerow.

But just for shooting with no prey disturbance "good" night vision will alway win.

So..lots of points...lots of pros and cons and no "overall" winner......there is a lot more to the story......suspect you can see why I wrote the disclaimer.

ive been lucky to go shooting with a friend of mine that has had gen2+ and gen 3 night vision. and it is very good dont get me wrong. but i perfer the lamp there seams more fun in it. and i think its safer to at the same time plus if there is two of you inless the shooters mate has a spoting night scope then there is no fun to be had for him.

Please no not take this as a personal insult, criticism, slur upon your intelligence or in any other way be offended..it is purely my personal observations based on a lot of night shooting using a lot of different equipment with a lot of different powers of guns over a lot of terrain...I do not know it all and I have not used everything on the market

£5000 worth of the latest military nightvision wins every time..but we are not allowed it and not many can afford it...and then what do you do in the daytime...bit tiresome to keep swapping scopes so another dedicated gun is required.

The cheap nightvision still costs loads and is hardly adequate for an air rifle.

It is great to enjoy some company when shooting and "sharing" a lamp so you can all see is fine, but if you want serious shooting it must be expensive nightvision, and stuff your mates if they cant see..you get to bag everything.

There will always be a market and usage for "lamping kits" and those with dimmers are particularly useful...it is a bit difficult walking down a bramble strewn woodland path on a black night using "nightvision", or hunting for shot bunny who just made it back to the hedgerow.

But just for shooting with no prey disturbance "good" night vision will alway win.

So..lots of points...lots of pros and cons and no "overall" winner......there is a lot more to the story......suspect you can see why I wrote the disclaimer.

i started the poll as i was curious what people prefered.. you dont need to spend £1000`s to get a decent unit that will do the job, all depends what your sticking it on.

to be honest deker, i dont agree with that. you can get units for around the £600 mark that will be more than enough for air rifle distances & just right for rimfire.

richie

i started the poll as i was curious what people prefered.. you dont need to spend £1000`s to get a decent unit that will do the job, all depends what your sticking it on.

Night vision is more effective but it's not a spectator sport unless the caddy has NV also.

A mate of mine is really into NV and I've been lucky enough to try his set up :thumbs: He has an 'add on' Cobra Merlin and a digital hand held spotting monocular. Ratting with the 'add on' is fun, spotting with the 'hand held' is good but I just don't like the blacked out eye for up to five minutes after use.

For me it's the lamp, I love the challenge and the thrill you get when you pop the lamp on, I also enjoy watching the night sky when the lamp is off, something I can't do after a minute or two witn NV.

The lamp gets :thumbs: from me.