Keeping phesants on own land

I wouldn’t worry too much about losing birds to the big shoot . They will more likely be worried about losing birds to you . But providing you put some down on your patch they can’t moan too much . Habitat is key . You need somewhere for them to roost , some cover for them to escape predators during the day , food and water . Like Balaur said start off with a small number first , and see how you get on .

• Like 2
On 11/04/2020 at 16:33, shovel leaner said:

I wouldn’t worry too much about losing birds to the big shoot . They will more likely be worried about losing birds to you . But providing you put some down on your patch they can’t moan too much .

...and never brag about huge returns in the pub! :laugh:

You "put some birds down and you're doing alright" is all anyone needs to know. Save upsetting folk.

2 hours ago, Born Hunter said:

...and never brag about huge returns in the pub! :laugh:

You "put some birds down and you're doing alright" is all anyone needs to know. Save upsetting folk.

I’ve been around shoots for years and shooting folk love a wind up . 100 birds will become 200 . I think the term “fake news” originated in shooting circles. Big shoot next to small shoot , sounds to me like a recipe for bad blood .

• 2 weeks later...

I've been doing the terrier work on abig pheasant shoot for years keepers a great bloke,last season his neighbour asked me to do some for him only small farm about 250 acres I noticed he had quite alot of feeders but no pens, couple of months later was talking to keeper said his neighbour had let me go on his farm,well to say he hated the farmer was a understatement he definitely wanted to kill him,I said I would not go again,6000 acres his far better than 250.