Roe in S.Wales....???

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have a small holding in the Monmouth/F of Dean area. I've had sightings here, out lamping I saw some does browsing a hedgeline, I nearly ran a buck down around 5am one morning ,running down the middle of the road towards me. Also had them out at dusk in my vegetable patch!! so they are here but as too the numbers I couldn't say. I certainly see more fallow.

I live near Margam park and venture up there on my bike or when walking the dog, loads of deer have escaped the fences of Margam park and roam freely in the foresty above, many people help themselves to the deer running about up there. Was on the news not so long ago, that there were people poaching in the forestry shooting deer and endangering the lives of ramblers / walkers and bikers, but who the hell is going to be up there at 1-2-3-4am in the morning ?

We have a small holding in the Monmouth/F of Dean area. I've had sightings here, out lamping I saw some does browsing a hedgeline, I nearly ran a buck down around 5am one morning ,running down the middle of the road towards me. Also had them out at dusk in my vegetable patch!! so they are here but as too the numbers I couldn't say. I certainly see more fallow.

We shoot boar around you and a few fallow but not around there enough to see any roe yet

very big herds widespread in south wales what people dont realise is the amount of forestation in wales the forest of dean borders on monmouthshire margam park in port talbot thousands of acres of forestry land over the years there as been large numbers escaping from there and breeding i have been present when red stags have been shot on the hills above port talbot only last year porthcawl is another hot spot for deer maesteg is holding large amounts of deer theres a golf course approx ten miles from where i live where the ranger shot over sixty on there last year that was just on the golf course this land borders a large estate on the herefordshire border deer are prolific breeders and dont venture far out onto small land in england on the big estates you see them out in the daytime because they are not bothered so much and they dont have the cover like they do with the forestation like it is in wales if your prepared to travel done to wales im quite prepared to take you out and show you these numbers last year i was selling deer for as little as 25 quid a piece around the hotels and sickened em with the amount and ended up feeding them to the dogs i can travel from my home now 7 miles and see twenty to thirty in a couple of fields and this is just one spot there are plenty more spots like that
very big herds widespread in south wales what people dont realise is the amount of forestation in wales the forest of dean borders on monmouthshire margam park in port talbot thousands of acres of forestry land over the years there as been large numbers escaping from there and breeding i have been present when red stags have been shot on the hills above port talbot only last year porthcawl is another hot spot for deer maesteg is holding large amounts of deer theres a golf course approx ten miles from where i live where the ranger shot over sixty on there last year that was just on the golf course this land borders a large estate on the herefordshire border deer are prolific breeders and dont venture far out onto small land in england on the big estates you see them out in the daytime because they are not bothered so much and they dont have the cover like they do with the forestation like it is in wales if your prepared to travel done to wales im quite prepared to take you out and show you these numbers last year i was selling deer for as little as 25 quid a piece around the hotels and sickened em with the amount and ended up feeding them to the dogs i can travel from my home now 7 miles and see twenty to thirty in a couple of fields and this is just one spot there are plenty more spots like that