Frustrating times #2

My bloody cz has been doing my nut!

When I aim it it waves about like a garden cane! Off hand shooting is a pain with it, especially on Charlie.

So I went out yesterday to get to the bottom of it and for comparison took the Marlin 22 out too.

After struggling with the cz off hand at various ranges I tried the 22. I spy some sheep muck about 100 yds, lift the Marlin up. Take aim, no waving about, guess some hold whallop. Sheep poop gone!

Compared, the Marlin just wants to sit on target. The Cz does not! Back at home I study the two rifles. It soon becomes apparent. The Marlin's weight is more forward than the CZ! In other words the CZ isn't balanced. The CZ has a heavy action, the Marlins is lighter. The CZ has a thin tapering barrel, the Marlin has a straight heavier barrel.

So I put the SAK back on the CZ, I hate mods, did I ever tell you how much I hate mods.... anyway it makes little difference which is why I took it off in the first place but it did do something so I thought I maybe on to the issue. I needed more weight so I unscrewed the front of the mod off and managed to get about 28g or 1oz in English of large lead shot in there, love lead me, did I ever tell you how wonderful I think lead is....I screwed the cap on which also crushed the wonderful lead enough to stop it moving.

Shouldering the rifle next did show a lot more improvement so this morning it was back to the range to make adjustment and sure enough it is somewhat more steady now when aimed off hand. The only caveat is the rifle is heavy and I am fat and unfit ☹️. I don't want to change the rifle chiefly because of my bedding the action and a very floating barrel has proven the rifle very unfussy ammo wise. It'll shoot anything (so far) stuffed in it! Ok it may not halve a playing card at 200yds but I stopped doing that years ago now anyway, got boring.

So until the next Charlie session....talking of which ole' slinky is still about, bless, I don't mind her really, she has out smarted me many many times so good luck to her, I'll still keep her on her toes but I salute her. I set my camera up Friday over a crow I found. She has not took it but checked it out a little. She was looking at the IR! I noted the time! I will keep feeding her too, little darling.

PTDC0004.JPG.f0a5798665e131fec70bd01323946634.JPG

• Like 10

12 minutes ago, Baldcoot said:

Never had you down as 1 to swing the lead ?,feel your pain an out of balance rifle is tits on a fish and as much use .Hopefully you,l rectify it and ol slinky may volenteer to test it for you 

Ole' slinky will be pure chance, like a late summers evening or an early morning. No lamps. Thanks mate ?

I know where you are coming from regarding movement of the gun in 'off hand' and when my pal and I went shopping for the wmr rifles, I was pleased he chose the lighter sporting stock / barrel CZ because I had trouble keeping it still. The Varmint version I bought, okay, yes it is much heavier but I can hold that firm. 

I do confess that the trigger stick tripod does come in very handy as well mind.  

Just back from Anglesey, stuffed my face with lovely food and lots of it along with rather large volumes of gin/tonic and wine so I doubt I can even walk up the fields and perhaps the electric golf buggy you suggested is not far off the mark SD.   Diet starts tomorrow so where is the english breakfast dear...........ouch, ok toast is fine my flower.  ?

Phil

• Haha 4

Funny how people are so different, i wouldn't even contemplate shooting a rifle without a mod on. 

I really enjoy trying to come to terms with wary foxes, i will write about the most wary fox i have ever encountered when i get time. It took me three months to kill it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
On 01/03/2020 at 12:08, ianm said:

Funny how people are so different, i wouldn't even contemplate shooting a rifle without a mod on. 

I really enjoy trying to come to terms with wary foxes, i will write about the most wary fox i have ever encountered when i get time. It took me three months to kill it.

Some rifles I shoot with a silencer some I  don't.  I aint to concerned about noise as long as the target is taken.  My techniques have been honed out in the field. I suppose  that my way is stealth.  I had a very lamp shy Fox and I  only ever got one eye flash and it was gone. One night I got the most fleeting of glimpses. The flash was just like that off of a moth out there. I walked black across  the 400 pace field and went up along the edge of the wood along that side of the field.  As I walked I  kept flashing the light into the wood.  The dog took it on itself to go into the wood about the middle and I  heard her give out a bark in the middle.  I had continued to walk and after a while the spaniel was back with me.  As I went round the end and into the next field I  flicked the light on and there was Charlie about seventh  paces out walking  away from me. Light off.  I now knew when the target was and I  set up for a shot. The spaniel was at heel.  I am a very quick shot and the light went on and bang, Charlie down.  That had taken months to get that shot. I don't know who educated that Charlie but  it wasn't me. This sometimes happens when people Chase Charlie with a quad, and or dogs. It's a lesson they don't forget. There was a piece of ground that a mate had where a bloke was out every night with a quad and a pack of dogs.  I don't think that they ever caught up with any but when we went out with the landrover there were a lot of Charlie's out there but they were that touchy that the first lamp and they were off like greyhounds to the nearest wood not to be seen again.  We packed up going there in the end because it was a total waste of time. We'd see ten foxes and couldn't get closer than two fields.  They wouldn't even stay for IR.  They were that touchy.  We had no control over the dog mans activities so we decided to let him get on with it. we heard that lamb losses were fairly high on that ground.

• Like 3