Shrunken cork rod butt

Got an old rod here bought for me some 40 year ago and now I'd like to pass it on to my son who is quite keen to fish. The problem is the reel is so loose on the rings it will fall off.

Was wondering if any one new a way of getting it to expand and swell to a better fit.

Cheers

29 minutes ago, Arry said:

Why not do a refurb on it as a project you can still get the Corks and fittings, just put it into google.

Cheers Arry

I could do Arry but want my boy to use it now, he is showing a real interest now at 14 so I'm keen to get him out.

Just sorting through  28 rods and this one 8ft ledger will do him perfect.

Thinking of sticking it in a waterbutt over night ?

If not will try what's been suggested previous.

Cheers

It depends on the handle shape and whether the butt cap can be removed but reel rings can be bought in smaller sizes. Or you could buy a sheet of modeller's cork  glue it around the handle and rub it down. 

To save altering the rod irrepairably a lamb castrating band either side of the reel rings will stop them moving.

Arry's suggestion of a bit of rubber under the reel foot sounds easiest . You could glue a rectangle of rubber or even epoxy a thin metal plate  to the reel foot itself and shape it for a neat looking job.

Edited by comanche
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, comanche said:

It depends on the handle shape and whether the butt cap can be removed but reel rings can be bought in smaller sizes. Or you could buy a sheet of modeller's cork  glue it around the handle and rub it down. 

To save altering the rod irrepairably a lamb castrating band either side of the reel rings will stop them moving.

Arry's suggestion of a bit of rubber under the reel foot sounds easiest . You could glue a rectangle of rubber or even epoxy a thin metal plate  to the reel foot itself and shape it for a neat looking job.

Thanks for that top ideas there I have done a temp repair by making a couple of rubber rings from an old bike inertube the size of the reel rings, and it seems to be working really well.

I think the true test will be when the rod is fully cranked over, as to whether it has worked or not.

I like the idea of packing out the reel foot hadn't entered my mind.

Cheers for the help

• Like 1