American Pool

16 minutes ago, WILF said:

Forget an expensive cue, a really good well shaped  tip, decent chalk and a small bit of soft sand paper will serve you much better .

I think that’s correct to a certain extent. I’ve got a cheap 50 quid cue, but I’ve just spent 25 quid to have the tip changed to a medium hard quality tip. It is better. The young Belgian lad I play has spent a lot on his predator cue & it’s low deflection. I think I can see the difference in his play to be honest.

That said, I know I can play a lot better with what I’ve got, so no point in stepping up yet imo....

Edited by Accip74
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Born Hunter said:

Loved playing nine ball when in college. f**k all the skilful English games, the American game is much more enjoyable.

First one I played on had the holes for pockets, no idea of rules, we just went numerical lol

Cheers, D.

1 hour ago, Accip74 said:

I think that’s correct to a certain extent. I’ve got a cheap 50 quid cue, but I’ve just spent 25 quid to have the tip changed to a medium hard quality tip. It is better. The young Belgian lad I play has spent a lot on his predator cue & it’s low deflection. I think I can see the difference in his play to be honest.

That said, I know I can play a lot better with what I’ve got, so no point in stepping up yet imo....

Predator cue? Is that like those Predator football boots? ?. I had a short snooker cue, my father got it off a chap called Neil Payton who was a professional.

Don't know what happened there ffs

Cheers, D.

I played a lot of pool as a younger man i became half decent ( and table tennis )... B wing champ in Chelmsford and 2's champ in Wandsworth early 90,s ?

Didnt play for a while then started playing in a Friday aftenoon pool club in South London...playing killer for decent money soon livened my game up again ?

Didnt play for years then started playing again more recently so had a half decent snooker table put in at home but the ol peepers were letting me down so swapped it for a pool table....we have a few pals over for a game a couple of quid swaps hands and then we all end up having a blazing row ?

I only ever played normal 8 ball until recently ive started playing a bit of 9 ball as i like the tactical battle and mind games that go with it.

• Like 2
29 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

Smart wee set up that mate, bet you get down in ya knees an beat him to feel good. Don’t ye ?

I’ll probably regret telling you this, but I’m only 5’7” myself, so it’s not too bad for me really......?

Seriously though it’s by far the best thing we’ve got him. He’s had it 18 months now & had a 100 times more use out of it than any of his toys..... he loves it! Money well spent ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
7 hours ago, gnasher16 said:

I played a lot of pool as a younger man i became half decent ( and table tennis )... B wing champ in Chelmsford and 2's champ in Wandsworth early 90,s ?

Didnt play for a while then started playing in a Friday aftenoon pool club in South London...playing killer for decent money soon livened my game up again ?

Didnt play for years then started playing again more recently so had a half decent snooker table put in at home but the ol peepers were letting me down so swapped it for a pool table....we have a few pals over for a game a couple of quid swaps hands and then we all end up having a blazing row ?

I only ever played normal 8 ball until recently ive started playing a bit of 9 ball as i like the tactical battle and mind games that go with it.

Ah! Killer in a lock in on a Sunday afternoon (when licensing hours were old fashioned), happy days ?

Cheers, D.

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, dytkos said:

Ah! Killer in a lock in on a Sunday afternoon (when licensing hours were old fashioned), happy days ?

Cheers, D.

Same with darts.....used to start off with a good 20/25 people all putting a tenner in....2 or 3 people left and you could cut the atmosphere with a knife.....funny days.

Mind you i was diabolical at darts at least i had half a chance at pool.

• Like 1