Old school.

36 minutes ago, Alsone said:

Maybe he should buy one of these. On the BBC, this seems to be the latest in camouflage:

Adult-Teletubby-Costume.jpg

You've even got a head attachment for your gun sling....

....and look how well the green one merges with the landscape:

p038bdly.jpg

It's just a pity the green one doesn't come with the lamp holder you see on the red.

Cheeky git ?

• Haha 1

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just had to pop out what with there being no moon and warm wind. I mooched around listening for any barking. Eventually I heard a quiet shallow bark not to far away so I moved towards it. The blo

Well I am loving this ammo. It's brilliant, four squirrels from one chestnut tree in a field. All shot off hand at 60yds or so. The 30yd shot at a rabbit clipped a twig but the 125yd rabbit

Three hours I've been chasing foxes tonight! Going around in circles trying to get on one, it gave up in the end and disappeared. The moon was bright and so I covered my hands and face but it made lit

Posted Images

Well I am loving this ammo. It's brilliant, four squirrels from one chestnut tree in a field. All shot off hand at 60yds or so.

IMG_20200110_151600910.jpg.c93c5c9d79cfe017b671e341d3449b51.jpg

The 30yd shot at a rabbit clipped a twig but the 125yd rabbit shot fell short so I gave some more hold and got one across its ribs. This is accurate ammo!

Nearing the car I happened on some winged vermin just over a brow to me. I aimed at its neck and got it. 80paces.

All shots were off hand.

Sorting the trigger on this rifle and this ammo has made a great combo.

SD.

• Like 5
On 04/01/2020 at 20:26, Sausagedog said:

Some do around here, I will see their light flicking across the distant horizon sometimes.

On 04/01/2020 at 20:42, si brown said:

looks like we are still in the blitz some nights when the keepers are out in force..

lights all over and the Sarajevo soundtrack, I just aim for home when its like that, dont fancy getting shot:icon_eek:

my stomping ground has a shoot either side of it, theres loads of land between them but I know if one of them spots something in the distance it'll be getting shot at

Both of the above cases show that the lamper is not doing the job properly. If the beam is flashing around the sky it shows that it ain't looking for a target. We've had people come out with us that reckon they can lamp and they're waving the beam all over the place. There was one incident  where a bloke had a  steady target in the beam and the keeper was just about to shoot and the Prat took the beam off of the target to check his watch. Needless to say Charlie wasn't there when he decided to put the beam back out there.  The keeper said "well,  I don't think that there's likely to be anymore out tonight,  we'll call it.!  Go back to base. !!  After the clod had gone home we went back out on patrol and controlled two. It takes a lot of time and experience to work efficiently as a team. The driver, lamper and shooter have to be coordinated and know what the others are doing.

On 05/01/2020 at 10:10, Alsone said:

Maybe he should buy one of these. On the BBC, this seems to be the latest in camouflage:

Adult-Teletubby-Costume.jpg

You've even got a head attachment for your gun sling....

....and look how well the green one merges with the landscape:

p038bdly.jpg

It's just a pity the green one doesn't come with the lamp holder you see on the red.

don't keep trying to deviate the thread away from the suit.  It has a lot going for it for lamping patrols out the back of a pickup. Warm, one piece, got a hood, ears to protect your ears.  The only thing is that you have to make out that your in fancy dress on the way back from some party when you dock in to the chippy or dog van en route.  even if the suit is plastered in mud, blood and residue from out the back of the truck and you're wearing muddy wellies ??? .  Not a lot different to wearing pyjamas really.

Edit.  Afterthought.  I don't recon that those mitts would be much use on their own because they're too big to trigger with or control the lamp switch but when your hands get so cold that you can't feel them they'd be ok to warm up a bit.  sometimes I have been covered with frost. perhaps they've got a Birt of string through the suit like kids idiot mittens.

Edited by Meece
  • Like 2
On 04/01/2020 at 20:42, si brown said:

looks like we are still in the blitz some nights when the keepers are out in force..

lights all over and the Sarajevo soundtrack, I just aim for home when its like that, dont fancy getting shot:icon_eek:

my stomping ground has a shoot either side of it, theres loads of land between them

》》

》》》

but I know if one of them spots something in the distance it'll be getting shot at

A very dangerous situation.  Failure to identify a target. Over the years I've had at least 3 occasions where if I  had not been diligent it could have been a tottaly difficult situation. The most dangerous was a fisherman who had strayed / wandered  along a river bank on our land.  The fishery water was across a road and he was two fields away from where he could /should have been. I don't remember what it was that showed llke a pair of eyes but it was only the fact that they didn't move like a pair of eyes should and after I had flashed them several times I decided to get a bit closer, and closer, and closer until I  twigged.  When I got to the bloke he hadn't got a clue that I  had targeted him and how close he could have come to having his brains blown out. It doesnt bear thinking about.   I did advise him that he was way off his part of the river and how dangerous it was !!! I didn't F him off because I  knew he was there but advised him to set a light up to show his position. And to fish on the other bit of river.

Edited by Meece
  • Like 2

It's important to know what you're shooting at. In the US on many grounds / woods it's compulsory to wear fluorescent orange jackets and hats for this very reason. Whilst some may view that a bit extreme you have to remember in the US most public land is open to hunting and no-one knows who else is out. I would have thought there's no harm in wearing a regular florescent vest with fluorescent tape in the UK after dark of the type road workers and others wear if you're on a ground with lots of others who have a tendency to be trigger happy, for £3 it could save your life. If you're worried about visibility to animals, orange seems to be the tried and tested colour in the US. According to the web, Deer see Blaze Orange as brown even in daylight. Jacket here for £3.60 delivered:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B072LVL15D/ref=sspa_dk_detail_7?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B072LVL15D&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUFONkFGTDMwSk5QNEYmZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTA3NTQ3MTVYV1lWOVE0UzFEWE4mZW5jcnlwdGVkQWRJZD1BMDY0NzY3NzJDUFdJU1VKMURQWVomd2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9kZXRhaWwmYWN0aW9uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

Spend more and you can find pocketed versions for sale although as an outer shell, with velcro fastening I see no reason why your regular pockets wouldn't be accessible. 

If you're really conscious, get an old normal shooting jacket and tape it up with reflective tape stripes. If you're on a ground with keepers shooting based on eyes alone (!)  then it's far better to look a chump (not that anyone other than the keeper is going to see you in the dark anyway), than become a cullender.

Alternatively You cold just dress like a teletubbie. I just can't guarantee they're not going to shoot you!

Edited by Alsone