Anemometer

I have thought a time or two about how useful it would be to establish the wind speed when pellet testing / target shooting so to see just how much POI change there is at different wind strengths but I always thought the anemometers were quite expensive until I looked at them on ebay and for a tenner, you can be in business. Okay, you will pay a bit more for a unit that has wireless function to your phone and one with a swivel head but nevertheless not expensive by any means with the chance to examine just how much effect the wind has on our pellets or slugs without breaking the bank.  It also means because of these prices, you have the opportunity to have one at your shooting position and one down range if required. An interesting thought.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2505460.m570.l1311.R1.TR1.TRC0.A0.H0.Xwind+measure.TRS0&_nkw=wind+measure&_sacat=0

Phil

17 hours ago, si brown said:

slightly cheaper than a £700 kestrel Phil :good:

I didn't realise Kestral went so high in price Si and well out of my price range so I will have a £15 one and leave the Kestral for you young whipersnappers ?

Just been for a walk along the sea wall.....................fcuk me, it was blowing a hooley, poor old Trish had her hands over her ears because of the cold, I did offer to take her sea fishing tomorrow but strangely she said no thanks,,,,,,,, well thats not exactly what she said but you get the idea. ?

Phil

• Haha 1
  • 4 months later...
On 24/12/2019 at 08:57, philpot said:

I have thought a time or two about how useful it would be to establish the wind speed when pellet testing / target shooting so to see just how much POI change there is at different wind strengths but I always thought the anemometers were quite expensive until I looked at them on ebay and for a tenner, you can be in business. Okay, you will pay a bit more for a unit that has wireless function to your phone and one with a swivel head but nevertheless not expensive by any means with the chance to examine just how much effect the wind has on our pellets or slugs without breaking the bank.  It also means because of these prices, you have the opportunity to have one at your shooting position and one down range if required. An interesting thought.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2505460.m570.l1311.R1.TR1.TRC0.A0.H0.Xwind+measure.TRS0&_nkw=wind+measure&_sacat=0

Phil

Does the fan have to be facing the wind to work ,just thinking If it has to face the wind and the wind is from left to right or right to left then you couldnt see the screen reading from downrange, just a thought but I could be wrong

There are so many different pieces of kit for this job Phill, this one is a basic at that price but if you pay a little more you can set it in position to read the wind speed whilst the read out is on your phone or pay more and the head will rotate to catch the wind without moving the body of the unit.

You have to bear in mind Phill that you already know which way the wind is blowing before you start so holding the unit or placing the unit to suit your needs.

This is a way to very cheaply read the wind speed, chuck more dosh at it and get a more advanced unit.

Anyway, where have you been, this was a December thread. ?

Phil

54 minutes ago, philpot said:

There are so many different pieces of kit for this job Phill, this one is a basic at that price but if you pay a little more you can set it in position to read the wind speed whilst the read out is on your phone or pay more and the head will rotate to catch the wind without moving the body of the unit.

You have to bear in mind Phill that you already know which way the wind is blowing before you start so holding the unit or placing the unit to suit your needs.

This is a way to very cheaply read the wind speed, chuck more dosh at it and get a more advanced unit.

Anyway, where have you been, this was a December thread. ?

Phil

OMG the date December haha, guess I'm a little behind, guess.you didnt bother getting one..

1 hour ago, Phill-W68 said:

OMG the date December haha, guess I'm a little behind, guess.you didnt bother getting one..

No, I gave it some thought but didn't go ahead as the area in a tree lined quarry we do our testing is well sheltered so perhaps for 80% of the time we don't need one but if I thought it would be of benefit, I wuld buy a cheap one to try out.

Phil

40 minutes ago, philpot said:

No, I gave it some thought but didn't go ahead as the area in a tree lined quarry we do our testing is well sheltered so perhaps for 80% of the time we don't need one but if I thought it would be of benefit, I wuld buy a cheap one to try out.

Phil

True, but suppose for the sake of a tenner where you have enough open ground to test it...

I used to use one quite regularly when I used to kite buggy nothing worse than sticking the wrong size kite up in strong winds you get dragged all over the place, useful little things. 

1 hour ago, FLATTOP said:

I used to use one quite regularly when I used to kite buggy nothing worse than sticking the wrong size kite up in strong winds you get dragged all over the place, useful little things. 

This is airgun section , not your kite forum you know :laugh:

• Haha 1
  • 1 month later...