So the plan is........

21 hours ago, Sausagedog said:

There is no pillar bedding either!

By all means bed the lug but if it were mine it would be shimmed.

Get that barrel out of the channel Gav.

Can you get the trigger spring out?

If so measure its length, it's diameter and it's wire thickness. You can then go on eBay to find one with less wire thickness or tell me and I can go and check my stock of springs.

I was thinking about drilling the pillars out and getting some right size metal bushings and bedding them in, but will just see what its like bedding the recoil lug first, don't wanna do too much too soon, the composite shouldn't have much give on the pillars I wouldn't have thought??

The sear spring comes out real easy so will measure up next time I break it down, cheers ? Its only around 1/2" by 3/16"

17 hours ago, Rimfireboy! said:

Is there any flex in the forend Gav? Maybe the barrel is free floating until the gun is on a bipod and then the forend might flex under weight and touch the barrel? I’ve had this before. Just a thought, then I might be talking shite??

Theres a good 1/8" gap round the forend and not enought flex I can exert to make it touch dramaticly, I know what you mean though, I've seen it myself on wooden stocks.

Edited by Gav
  • Like 1

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sure, new barrels do need breaking in yes. A process of elimination usually pins it down. Put some black tape on the mod and shoot through it to check it's been threaded true.   Wh

Most rifles sold today are sold as free floating but in actual fact they are not. Some have little pressure pads and them that don't don't have enough clearance around the barrel channel. My last

I had a similar issue with my 223.  Years ago Browning had a gadget that you dialled up. It was a threaded weight that you moved to find an accurate sweet spot for a given loading. With a bit of exper

Posted Images

36 minutes ago, Gav said:

You may get a package in the post pal ?

I'm only an explosives engineer so metaly springy things are beyond me ?

Yeah, send if you wish to.

Explosives engineer, well now that is something we have in common!

I have an explosive attitude sometimes!! ?

• Like 1
On 19/12/2019 at 19:21, Gav said:

.Came home kicked the cat, threw a few expletives at the dogs and the wife, ?

There's the reason.  It's the cat's fault.  The wife might have a bit of blame but the dog is blameless. Issue the cat a couple of Stuart Pierce free kicks. You know it makes sense. If you think back the dog told you that the load was suspect. ??????

• Haha 2
1 hour ago, Meece said:

There's the reason.  It's the cat's fault.  The wife might have a bit of blame but the dog is blameless. Issue the cat a couple of Stuart Pierce free kicks. You know it makes sense. If you think back the dog told you that the load was suspect. ??????

That's the reason the cat gets the boot everytime, the dogs still love me no matter what I call them,, an the wife hmmm comfy ole pair of slippers you don't wanna throw out ????

Edited by Gav
  • Like 1
10 minutes ago, Gav said:

The dogs still love me no matter what I call them,, an the wife hmmm. ????

Always glad to welcome you home,  always sad to see you go,  they dont tell lies and they dont steal from you !

Although one of my spaniels did eat my dinner once when I was watching the six o'clock news .  Someone  (jova or double glazing fellow) came to the door and I  thoughtlessly put my dinner down on the floor next to the sofa. Spaniel had come up on the lottery.  My mistake. "Where's my dinner love"  "I think it's in the dog "!  Me again. Beans on toast !!

• Haha 2

I had a similar issue with my 223.  Years ago Browning had a gadget that you dialled up. It was a threaded weight that you moved to find an accurate sweet spot for a given loading. With a bit of experimentation you could use different loads. I found that by putting a nylon cable tie around the barrel and the for end the group's tightened right up. SO I removed the barrel and put a strip of rubber inner tube into the channel at the front end and tied that lot together.  This was even better. SO I removed the barrel and put a strip of gaffer tape down the barrel to the front end of the for end.  I then mixed up some glass resin and thickly coated the channel. I then put the barrel into the channel and pulled the pillar bolts up but not right home.  After letting it really cure for several days I pulled the bolts right up tight so that there was in effect a front end upward pressure. I then got the chrono and worked on the load to fine tune it.  The result is that I have a load that will punch a 55 gn bthp out at 3400 and I can confidently take targets out at 300 although I rarely do,  preferring to stalk them and using ground contours , the wind and background along with calling to get to about eighty paces. This range  at night I can positively identify what the target is.

Edited by Meece
  • Like 2
18 minutes ago, Meece said:

Always glad to welcome you home,  always sad to see you go,  they dont tell lies and they dont steal from you !

Although one of my spaniels did eat my dinner once when I was watching the six o'clock news .  Someone  (jova or double glazing fellow) came to the door and I  thoughtlessly put my dinner down on the floor next to the sofa. Spaniel had come up on the lottery.  My mistake. "Where's my dinner love"  "I think it's in the dog "!  Me again. Beans on toast !!

Had an ole dog, four fillet steaks ready to go, answered the phone and when I looked round the plate was clean, she had the face of an angel, couldn't do anything but laugh an tell the folks, they're dinner was literally in the dog ?

• Haha 1