So the plan is........

After @si brown posted the other day, having a blast in a quarry, I decided to head out the moor with the AB3 in .308.

Now I've moved on to REACH compliant powder a while ago, so decided to have a range test, I decided on a load of 44.5gn N140, Sierra 150gn spitzers (#2130), cci primer and starline twice fired case a bit ago, they were giving me 1.5" groupings at 100 yards, so quite happy. I'd not however had much chance to go beyond 200 yards through pure bone idleness to be frank ( I know my names Gav, but don't get confused just yet ?).

Anyways, I set up marks at 100yds, 200yds, 300yds, and 500yds, 100yds was true and 5 shots were as expected 1.5" groups. 200yds going upto 2" to 2.5"  groups, 300yds its like 10" group with a 3.5 MOA holdover, 500 yds couldn't even hit a 12" target face?? I depleted over a 100 rounds!! My old x-bolt (same caliber) used to do 500 yds at 4" - 5" groups.

Came home kicked the cat, threw a few expletives at the dogs and the wife, took the rifle apart and no glass bed?? Now the t-bolts have glass bedding and the x-bolt had as standard. All composite stocks.

So the plan...........

Ordered a glass bedding kit from Brownells £27 ? https://www.brownells.co.uk/ACRAGLAS-2-Gun-ACRAGLAS-Kit-Non-Flammable-BROWNELLS-59-ml-081003004

Increase/decrease loads to get a better group at 300yds then 400yds and ultimate goal 500yds.

Then if all these fail wrap the F******G thing round a rock and get a proper rifle or a 6.5x55 creedy ?

Honestly I'm really F******D off and nearly at a stage where I am contemplating writing to Santa (if not too late) for a BFG ??

When I did my marksmanship in the 80s we were throwing box standard military 7.62 rounds  a 1000 yards down a range with a battered old SLR and iron sights, and still had better groups than I'm getting now grrrrrr ?

Edited by Gav
Punctuation NUMPTY

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sure, new barrels do need breaking in yes. A process of elimination usually pins it down. Put some black tape on the mod and shoot through it to check it's been threaded true.   Wh

Most rifles sold today are sold as free floating but in actual fact they are not. Some have little pressure pads and them that don't don't have enough clearance around the barrel channel. My last

I had a similar issue with my 223.  Years ago Browning had a gadget that you dialled up. It was a threaded weight that you moved to find an accurate sweet spot for a given loading. With a bit of exper

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, Sausagedog said:

Gav it may be nowt to do with glass bedding. None of my rifles ever had glass bedding, like your service rifle.

Yeah It's probably just my loads need tweeking, but I have to try it before it gets wrapped around a rock ?

Most rifles sold today are sold as free floating but in actual fact they are not. Some have little pressure pads and them that don't don't have enough clearance around the barrel channel.

My last turn bolt would not group with several loads. It was only when I noticed the closed bolt was touching the stock and rectified that the rifle suddenly was transformed. When I then got 4mm clearance all around the barrel it then became a one hole grouper with a variety of loads. No glass bedding.

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, Sausagedog said:

Most rifles sold today are sold as free floating but in actual fact they are not. Some have little pressure pads and them that don't don't have enough clearance around the barrel channel.

My last turn bolt would not group with several loads. It was only when I noticed the closed bolt was touching the stock and rectified that the rifle suddenly was transformed. When I then got 4mm clearance all around the barrel it then became a one hole grouper with a variety of loads. No glass bedding.

You've talked yourself into a job, just packaging it up now, in the post winging its way too ya tomorrow ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

There is a simple test you can do to test the barrel in the stock.

I forget what rifle you have but you can very often cut a plastic bottle up and make shims that fit just under the action at the screw points and that will lift the barrel out of the channel enough to reveal some improvement.

Often bright witness marks can be seen on the barrel if it is vibrating against the stock. That will be happening during firing and will ruin the true potential.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, Sausagedog said:

There is a simple test you can do to test the barrel in the stock.

I forget what rifle you have but you can very often cut a plastic bottle up and make shims that fit just under the action at the screw points and that will lift the barrel out of the channel enough to reveal some improvement.

Often bright witness marks can be seen on the barrel if it is vibrating against the stock. That will be happening during firing and will ruin the true potential.

Yeah great idea, I've only done the paper test and felt no snags??

It's a https://www.grahamsofinverness.co.uk/product/a-bolt-iii-composite-stalker-black-syntheticblue-centrefire-rifle

Edited by Gav

All my rifles have been cheap.

I don't mean the paper test Gav!

Remove the action from the stock.

Fit plastic shims between action and stock, refit stock with shims in place.

The barrel will be out of the channel more, go test shoot.

While it is out of the action check the barrels finish for any rubbing.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Sausagedog said:

All my rifles have been cheap.

I don't mean the paper test Gav!

Remove the action from the stock.

Fit plastic shims between action and stock, refit stock with shims in place.

The barrel will be out of the channel more, go test shoot.

While it is out of the action check the barrels finish for any rubbing.

I mean I have only done a paper test, your method I will try. I did look for any rub marks on the gubbbings while the stock was off, nothing!

1 minute ago, Sausagedog said:

Was it not blowing up there today?

Yeah but I was out yesterday, only been 46mph max so still doable, we don't count it windy till it's above a 100mph

• Haha 1