• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Those poor mice ?

Well zeroed my new tikka 17 HMR in to day What a nice little light weight gun and not as noisy as I thought it was going to be , but my god it’s accurate  is it a easy job to adjust the trig

It’s .22 Phil. Mostly for corvids, fox and if we need to thin out hares. Also works well on rabbits but makes a mess on body shots and often removes the head with head shots. With the wildcat evo it’s

5 minutes ago, Sausagedog said:

I can see them taking off, I think our general obsession on being Uber quiet is a red herring! No body seems to notice the racket made when you hit your target! That can't be muffled out!

These will flatten out the traj a shade and make autos function more reliably too.

Sorry to side track Villaman.

I was also going to pick up some sk hv hp’s but they’ve just sold out of those too. My fault, shouldn’t have left it but I had some others to use up first. Never mind, sure I’ll pick some up before too long.

5 minutes ago, philpot said:

I think I am lucky because the two rfd's I visit have taken stock so I will be picking some more tomorrow. If you are near to North Lincs SD, I can put you on to them, can't help you though Mitch.

Phil

No where near but thanks for the offer?

27 minutes ago, villaman said:

What range would you zero hp in and would it be flat out to 100 yards ?

I set zero at 65mt but with the constant rain and other commitments I have done very little with my Tikka so cannot really comment Mitch. I need to get some time to carry out more testing with vatious ammo and ranges. 

Phil

6 minutes ago, philpot said:

I set zero at 65mt but with the constant rain and other commitments I have done very little with my Tikka so cannot really comment Mitch. I need to get some time to carry out more testing with vatious ammo and ranges. 

Phil

Let us know how it goes Phil, when you can get out ??

• Like 1

A lot depends on the rifle but basically a 50 yds zero with normal HV ammo 1200-1300 FPS should be around -2"-3" at 100.

A sub sonic will be -7" or so compared....maybe worse.

The hyper velocity ammo I seem to struggle finding and worth while good accuracy from. Probably due to light bullets poorly made ect and the trans sonic thing. I only ever had any joy with stingers out of a Remington 597. And it reached out with them but no other 22 I owned would shoot them and that's several rifles!

11 minutes ago, villaman said:

So what is the point of HV ammo .22 when you can have 17 HMR , is it wind only ?

Personal choice.

I don't like light bullets. Great on little critters but so is a 22. A 17 has some reach, as long as it's not blowing. If it's blowing your range will have to come down, down to 22 distances.

I don't like that tiny bore to clean, a 22 hardly ever needs a clean!

Some ammo issues with her, no ammo issues with 22.

From my point of view 17 has the edge on safety....not that a 22 is especially dangerous then!

Some love the velocity a flat traj.

I like some bullet so that if I do get it there it does drive through.

Personal choices. Besides, I don't have many mice to shoot ?

• Haha 1