Sign in to follow this  
riohog

sharp stuff

One for Socks. I have a Chinese water stone amongst many other forms of keeping an edge on my blades. When you, or indeed all the others on here, who I follow with interest, keep a real edge on ? I remember a guy when coming back from Rhiyadh who did nothing but sharpen his blade. It was a long flight as you know. Jok.

33 minutes ago, jok said:

One for Socks. I have a Chinese water stone amongst many other forms of keeping an edge on my blades. When you, or indeed all the others on here, who I follow with interest, keep a real edge on ? I remember a guy when coming back from Rhiyadh who did nothing but sharpen his blade. It was a long flight as you know. Jok.

i dont fk about these days with stones i cut the cutting edge on a wicked edge  , then just hone with 1000gt ceramic steel  rod  , easy  ..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, socks said:

Nice shape on that ? 

tricky job ken no gplunge on the grinds  all blended into one  very time consuming  👍

57 minutes ago, riohog said:

tricky job ken no gplunge on the grinds  all blended into one  very time consuming  👍

Did you do it free hand or with a jog mate .....

15 minutes ago, socks said:

Did you do it free hand or with a jog mate .....

its thin stock only 2.5mm to start so flexes alot i straped it to a piece of 3x2 wood but its more tricky than that mate you only grind to the start of the handle leaving a triangle to spine then itbecomes tricky  you can feather the grinds in by hand but not above the spine if you grind it right it will give a distel taper  from handle to tip lot of hand finishing mate  .

Very easy to over grind or burn the metal then ... what grit belts did you use for that mate. 

33 minutes ago, socks said:

Very easy to over grind or burn the metal then ... what grit belts did you use for that mate. 

i grind before heat treatement mate so no issues there  i know from experience that ive never had a blade come back from h/t  warped the 

, i use 60 grt ceramic grain belts to ruff out and first grind then a 150grt ali oxide belt then its alot od hand finishing i fkn hate to see grind lines and scratches on a blade 👍  its abit overkill 60 grt belt  but there is cobolt in this steel  it would eat ali oxide belts  

I want to start doing more hand finishing what do you use mate ....

Just now, socks said:

I want to start doing more hand finishing what do you use mate ....

wet and dry paper  ,trick is mate get the deep cratches out before heat treat  or  clean the bevell up with a fine belt after h/t  justt dont get the steel hot on fine belts after h/t  keep dunkinking it in water   then wet and dry paper go through the grades to fine .

Yhea that’s what I’ve been playing around with. Also found that soapy water works really well. 

3 minutes ago, socks said:

Yhea that’s what I’ve been playing around with. Also found that soapy water works really well. 

• Like 3