Crackling

Any one bother making it the old way ? back in the day Mam made loads , in those day the Pig Skin had a thicker layer of Fat on it when it had been rendered down  she added the Jelly from Pigs Feet  to sit at the bottom of the Dripping pot . Dripping on toast with a few Pork Scratchings on it ! Heaven .

DSCF2247.JPG

• Like 5

I don't know how to do it the old way but, I do like a bit of crackling  :yes:

I just rub salt into both sides and cook it in the oven,  turning it every 10 minutes.

......... when it's pretty much done, I like a little honey on the fat side :thumbs:

• Like 1

I make sausages and do about 15kgs a time, I use a mix of belly and shoulder, the butchers skins and bones it for me, I make crakling from the skin, rubbed with butter and course sea salt, its bloody great. My Ma used to do the best beef dripping ever, used to live on it as kids, I'd love to know how she did it, will have to look into the dripping side now as you've got me slavering over my keyboard ?

• Like 3
11 minutes ago, Gav said:

I make sausages and do about 15kgs a time, I use a mix of belly and shoulder, the butchers skins and bones it for me, I make crakling from the skin, rubbed with butter and course sea salt, its bloody great. My Ma used to do the best beef dripping ever, used to live on it as kids, I'd love to know how she did it, will have to look into the dripping side now as you've got me slavering over my keyboard ?

Pigs Head  Sharp Knife  Plenty of Heat Scrape the lot in a pot and Guts it down …… Food that made an Empire .

• Like 1
1 hour ago, forest of dean redneck said:

Pigs cheeks got nice flavour to them .

Funnily enough it’s the reason old breeds like the Gloucester old spot are making a come back, as those modern pink naked bacon producing ones don’t have a nice fat face, don’t know if it’s just a local thing but round here they call them bath chaps in restarauntss and very nice they are to ✌️✌️

25 minutes ago, Greyman said:

Funnily enough it’s the reason old breeds like the Gloucester old spot are making a come back, as those modern pink naked bacon producing ones don’t have a nice fat face, don’t know if it’s just a local thing but round here they call them bath chaps in restarauntss and very nice they are to ✌️✌️

Yes I had the ones off the saddleback we had few years ago.

• Like 1