First trap down to start the season

Well all my Traps been up the woodland since last season, but I find the squirrels don't start getting caught regular in the snares and fennd until later in the year when the cover and food dries up. 

Other day took a walk down a lane I've not been since I was a kid and low and behold, 5 rabbits on a hedgerow. So I walked closer and the bolted. On the back of the hedge is a rusty old gate and it's overgrown. Had a nose about, digs a everywhere and didn't take me long to find the main hole and run that takes them throb the hedge into the field I saw them. 

Problem is ithe redt is completely overgrown with bramble so it was a job for a fenn. Went up the wood and got my Traps this morning, so took the pup for a walk down and set it. Didnt see any rabbits at all today but as I got further down the lane saw 2 old boys in camp gear so I guessing they work the farms there. The copse where I've set the trap is no man's land so hopefully they havnt been ferreting all the rabbits away but it did look undisturbed. Anyway here's the hole, nice deep and loose soil so I bedded it in nicely. Hoping to have my first bunny of the season tomorrow, not laods about my way anyway but seen a few pockets abot this year so be nice to get a few. 

DSC_1480.JPG.b83120785e46025574a9a246926ffb9d.JPG

This looks like it's been dug out recently as its fresh spoil everywhere, but this is definitely where those rabbits bolted to after they ran out of the field. This photo is with my mk6 fenn set inside. IMG-20190921-WA0003.jpg.91bcdb5a44ea3beeb69e19a5000735f8.jpg

My little pup watching in on me. Shame it can't be ferreted here for her to see a few bolt but it's impossible with only this hole accessble. 

• Like 3

Well I've checked 2 mornings on the trot and nothing, and not seen the rabbits since that evening before I set the trap either. Seems very odd?? All I can guess is there ls a hole further back in the scrub they're using and this isn't a main entry to the Warren although it's definitely well used. They can't just disappear overnight. 

2 hours ago, bell said:

Micky been down and cleared it mate ..

Might be worth a look, there is nothing around here even my top secret hidden place is barren ! just had a Weekend in Leicestershire    the place is lifting with them .

Checked this morning on way to work. The bunnies are still l there, they are in and out the wood line further down so I think they're using a main run further down than my trap is set. Looks like I'm getting the hedge cutters out on my day off Friday. 

23 hours ago, darrren said:

Well I've checked 2 mornings on the trot and nothing, and not seen the rabbits since that evening before I set the trap either. Seems very odd?? All I can guess is there ls a hole further back in the scrub they're using and this isn't a main entry to the Warren although it's definitely well used. They can't just disappear overnight. 

Darren if your free on Sunday morning ,got a little spot we can look at and  ferret a few for that pup to have a sniff?theres aways a few knocking about,have to leave the terriers unless you keep em on a lead.less than 10 mile from you?give you a buzz Saturday and sort it out ?

Sounds good mate drop me a message or buzz me on the weekend I'll bring her along so she can see what it's about. She's growing quick nwo, I'll leave the terriers at the house lol. Normally I'd have more Traps out but I need to get down there with some cutters and cut a bit back to get some more down in the ground. 

• Like 1

Had a quick check if the trap just now. I snapped a few branches back on the trees to go a bit deeper and I managed to get on the back end of the hedge to where I see the rabbits bolt. There's a good run going into this hole who h is a different set of holes to what I've been checking this week, so I'm betting they're in there. On Friday when I'm off ill be adding a trap to this hole. Surely there can be two lots of Warren's a meter apart and only one getting used? This hole is closest to the hedge they bolt out and I can see where they have been running through. 

This hole is tighter and the ground is clay, amongst tree roots and ivy. The one I've been checking all week is a mound of soft soil covered in bramble. 

Probably add a snare in to a few runs that are funneled in by fallen sticks aswell. 

DSC_1497.JPG