Hounds on boar in Spain

No I haven’t so perhaps the ground I’m imagining is different to what it actually is. That was mainly a concern for the running dogs being used.

main reason is if hounds arent already hunting boar there is a good chance they will just riot  off on fox, deer etc 

if there are a lot it mixed age sounders then I guess you might bump some of the smaller ones by just pushing cover but anytgung a good size will sit tight, avoid the dogs etc. As you said they are used to getting hunted by hounds that know the score so they are used to avoiding them, and the guns waiting.

Also will you have enough men with catch dogs out there to cover exits? I imagine they have a lot of guns stationed.

Is the idea that each man is on his own on a peg and hoping to slip their Lurcher on a running pig? They take a fair bit of stopping when at a dead run and of any size.

Could be totally wrong of course and fair play for trying. If ground was right I’d be interested in hunting them. But would probably do it differently.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You'd be surprised how it rubs off on you ? I have to admit... the other day, I took a two hour lunch, had a 3 course meal with wine, went back to work and did fuuck all ?

I don't think there will be many private pack racing across to hunt boar as if like are own if they hunt anything other that fox they wouldn't be here long but I know a local foxhound pack to me had a

As you know from the last trip, it was a great experience and bloody good fun but none of our  dogs knew what they were hunting for!! Lol I think J's dog hit 1.8km on the garmin at one point then

Seen it done on this land with 5-6 gun pegs, plus two seperate packs pushing. These boar DO NOT sit still, if they have dogs pushing on them. As for running riot that's the chance we take. It's more about getting lads/lasses over and having a couple of days sport a bit of the craic and hopefully pull a couple of boar down.

Ffs the offer is to give people a chance to hunt their dogs legally, on a big game pest species. If you can help and are interested then please do so.

If we can't get bushing packs, the idea is dead in the water anyway.

I've posted photos of the ground before, have a search in my previous posts/content ;) Small hilly, with lots of chest height brush. The land is well developed as hunting ground (in the European fashion) and holds a fuuck load of boar! The ground is shale/rocky/sandy, typical of northern Spain. 

Just now, SheepChaser said:

How bad is it going to be for the runners feet? That’s one issue I’ve seen out there. 

Also how big are the blocks of cover?

You've been there and know! As I said, I've been there afterwards and seen how they do it... It can be done, as Mick wanted ;)