South Yorkshire Shooting and Game Fair

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Right Mitch. My wife and I went to Forest Lodge Guns today with the main purpose to compare three rifles, the Tikka T1x, CZ 457 Royal & MTR and finally the Anschutz 1416 thumbhole and sporting sto

Yeah, they look nice, really nice ?,and probably are really good. I’d be very very tempted if I was seriously looking for another rimfire at the moment. If it’s a long term investment and what you wan

We are now in September and the Doncaster show on Sat. 28th and Sun 29th of Sept. will be here in no time at all so who is coming this year.  Trish and I will be coming home on the Saturday from

Posted Images

18 minutes ago, philpot said:

Go for the .22lr rimmy Mitch with subs and HV ammo to see where it fits in with your own demands, then if needed, get the .17hmr 

Phil

Agreed Phil, .22 is more versatile than .17hmr, which is by comparison, something of a one trick pony. 

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, philpot said:

Yes you are Mitch.They are prone to ricochet but if you are sure you have a safe zone behind the target, you are good to go. To jump in with an hmr is, to my mind, the wrong way round.

Phil

Once they’ve bounced off the ground or rock/flint etc, they’ve lost most of their energy. I’ve seen subs skid up off short wet grass at 50 yards and hit 18mm ply a further 50 yards away and they’ve slammed sideways into the ply but only embedded in the wood at around a foot above the ground. I don’t believe that those tumbling bullets would have traveled much further before dropping back to the ground again. As you say Phil, so long as you know and are aware of the backdrop and it’s safe?. Obviously they’ll always carry more clout than airgun pellets, and carry further after a ricochet though.

There is a case for both cals but by switching ammo in .22lr, you have a range from approx 950fpe to 1700fpe so a few mags with different shells and you are away. I know it is not that simple because of the scope setting but certainly two types are doable. A lot depends on the range you are shooting as well because the hmr will turn a rabbit inside out if you are too close but if you are wanting to take out a nice big hare at 150mt, the hmr will do the business.

There is no correct answer as there is no wrong answer, it is down to how you as to which route to take. For me, the route I have taken is how I feel is right for me.

Phil

• Like 1