Duckling disaster

Well as the weather has put a stop to my night out foxing and I’m now half way through a bottle of jd I thought I’d share with you something that saddened me today, this morning before work I thought I’d treat myself to a sausage sandwich for a posh butchers in my local village, as I was in there waiting to be served I was looking out the window at the duck pond, I noticed a few duckling that were been bothered by crows, now the owner of the butchers seen me watching them and said to me them b*****ds have just about wiped them out, he said as soon as they come off the water they are at them, he then told me that they roost around the church next to the pond and an old boy from the village had always kept the numbers in check until natural England had pulled the license ( he was also the butchers woody supplier) since the license was pulled he hadn’t culled any and I don’t know how true this is but the butcher told me there was over 50 ducklings on and around the pond over the last couple of weeks, I counted 7 this morning, if the numbers he said are correct than that is very sad indeed and the only thoughts that come to mind are fu*k Natural England and fu*k Cwis Tw*tham ☹️

• Like 2
  • Sad 4

Mr Conservation is responsible for many many deaths so far with his stupidity ,never seen so many pigeons about and when winter comes and they drop like flies from starvation hands up  anyone who thinks he,l admit making a massive mistake .

Oops silly   me he,l be too bust signing copies of his new book "How i single handedly fnucked up the balance of wildlife in the uk " 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

funny you should mention that in a totally un funny way!

I was talking to a mate last week and he said the same thing to me... he'd been out fly fishing on a local beck and had been talking to one of the old boys who's 

houses backed on and he'd said the exact same thing.. day by day the crows were killing the ducklings till eventually they had all gone!

bloody awful birds... 

got home from work to be greeted by two screaming at me yesterday, one of the branches had fallen into me garden.... hopefully the neighbours cats got the fcuker

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

I was back in the village earlier today, as I passed the duck pond I could see a large amount of crows around the edge with 20 or so mallard on the water, I stopped for a moment and couldn’t see one duckling, very sad ?

• Sad 2

I know this happens year in year out and everything has its place in the food chain but it definitely seems to me that without any control this year it’s seems to have been a very tough time for the birds and fowl, I also understand that many of us didn’t follow the GL correctly but from what I’ve seen over the past weeks we were doing more good than harm, some sensible clear guidelines wouldn’t go amiss 

8 hours ago, timmytree said:

Cancelling the GLs at nesting time was a huge mistake, all the magpies have raised their broods and they are now decimating the songbirds, it's the same with crows. Magpies, Jays and rooks are far less of a problem. Packham thinks natural predation is ok, I agree to a point but at some point we have to step in and take control. The real problem will be next year if there is no legitimate control in place. I reckon magpie numbers will be up by 20% if we have a mild winter, that will mean at least 20%less songbirds in the following nesting season and fewer broods raised.

What if we have a bad winter!

Thousands of wee birds die in hard workers. Then we will only have crows left!

Rooks and jays still take eggs and chicks. See it brother.