First go at reloading

1 hour ago, ianm said:

So at 1" high at 100yds what is the true zero with your chosen load?

That was the first batch I’ve ever loaded yesterday. I will do some more tests and see where that is . I’m only guessing, but I have always zeroed my rifle this way and it’s been good enough for my foxing. It will be interesting to find out . I could be way off , and the round drops off rapidly. 

2 hours ago, shovel leaner said:

That was the first batch I’ve ever loaded yesterday. I will do some more tests and see where that is . I’m only guessing, but I have always zeroed my rifle this way and it’s been good enough for my foxing. It will be interesting to find out . I could be way off , and the round drops off rapidly. 

I use a .204 for my foxing  and coincidentally it is 1" high at 100yds but  it is zeroed at 230yds which is point and shoot from 50yds to 300yds. That is with homeloads and using a n/v scope. 

I will have to do my bench rest testing on my day rifle ( I’ve got two 223 rifles ) because my dedicated N/V set up I would have a job seeing the marks on the targets at 200+ meters , I can see a fox no problem and put the point in the right area but it’s a bit grainy at that range for tiny targets. I’ve always worked on the theory that if you are an inch high at 100 meters then you are about bang on at 200 . I’ve got a 243 and my real aim is to develop a load for that , that will allow me to shoot 300+ without dialling in . I’ve got some valleys and banks that I see foxes on that are out of my reach at the moment. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, walshie said:

My 223 is zeroed 1" high at 100 yards, which is cock-on at 180 yards and 1" low at 210 yards.

The reason I started loading was to save a few bob . I hate wasting rounds punching paper . I will see how I get in with this load and if I start missing longer shots I will have a look. They breed us tight round our way ?

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, shovel leaner said:

The reason I started loading was to save a few bob . I hate wasting rounds punching paper . I will see how I get in with this load and if I start missing longer shots I will have a look. They breed us tight round our way ?

I have never seen a tight arse that is any good at shooting yet! ?

Don't look at it as wasting ammunition but rather an investment into knowing your rifle and homeload combination.

Time spent practising at different ranges and different wind conditions pay off as i found out the other night on a difficult shot on a fox that needed killing.?

• 2 weeks later...

there is nothing like making your own then getting far better groups out of your rifle than with factory ammo.my little rem700 likes 22.8gr vhit133,1410 sierra 52gr hpbt,2.232" oa length.has taken me 2 years trigger time total to be able to shoot consistantly accurately.a few typical groups at 100m 1592030309_plinking086.JPG.82468e24f3201a85a083d6617cbcd9b8.JPG

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, .357shooter said:

there is nothing like making your own then getting far better groups out of your rifle than with factory ammo.my little rem700 likes 22.8gr vhit133,1410 sierra 52gr hpbt,2.232" oa length.has taken me 2 years trigger time total to be able to shoot consistantly accurately.a few typical groups at 100m 1592030309_plinking086.JPG.82468e24f3201a85a083d6617cbcd9b8.JPG

That's not bad off hand! Have you ever benched it?

SD ?