Bird Nesting

Now we all know of the halcyon day of the past when young lads mooched round hedges and to eggs for there own modest collection.I for one used to do it but dont anymore.I like many others had my shoebox filled with cotton wool to house my little collection.however in a moment of nostalgia i did a little reasearch and was amazed to find this.Its taken from the Gardian newspapaers lengthy article.

"It's about a guy in Coventry leaving at night and driving to Scotland, walking 15 miles through fields of snow, abseiling down the crag, knocking the golden eagle off its nest, stealing the eggs, blowing them, burying them in tins in the ground, driving back to Coventry with nothing and waiting until autumn to return when birds are not breeding so they won't get caught in transit."

Its seems like thing have changed a bit to me.Maby its just such stringent new laws have forced a young lad to get a bit more 'extreme' with his hobby.Now as much as i love birds and all wildlife i cant help but simpythise were these eggers there deication and knowledge is amazing.but i am in no way condoning the activities of the above as i think golden egles are stunning birds and should be protected and encouraged as much as possible.but as a whole what experiances have we had of bird nesting.Old stories and tales and anything bordering on such 'obsession for these jewles of the wild'

cheers Stig

Now we all know of the halcyon day of the past when young lads mooched round hedges and to eggs for there own modest collection.I for one used to do it but dont anymore.I like many others had my shoebox filled with cotton wool to house my little collection.however in a moment of nostalgia i did a little reasearch and was amazed to find this.Its taken from the Gardian newspapaers lengthy article.

"It's about a guy in Coventry leaving at night and driving to Scotland, walking 15 miles through fields of snow, abseiling down the crag, knocking the golden eagle off its nest, stealing the eggs, blowing them, burying them in tins in the ground, driving back to Coventry with nothing and waiting until autumn to return when birds are not breeding so they won't get caught in transit."

Its seems like thing have changed a bit to me.Maby its just such stringent new laws have forced a young lad to get a bit more 'extreme' with his hobby.Now as much as i love birds and all wildlife i cant help but simpythise were these eggers there deication and knowledge is amazing.but i am in no way condoning the activities of the above as i think golden egles are stunning birds and should be protected and encouraged as much as possible.but as a whole what experiances have we had of bird nesting.Old stories and tales and anything bordering on such 'obsession for these jewles of the wild'

cheers Stig

£150 fine in 1979 for me, it did take over my life up until then

My Grandad & my Uncle, used to have a massive collection which they built up over years & years. My mother & my auntie got there hands on them & sold them for the price of a few packs of fags!

Guest Ditch_Shitter

I'd imagine so, CC. It was banned in 1954. Bit f*cking tricky to claim ye took those " Pre Ban "! :laugh:

Bird Nesting; It's what Digital Cameras were made for! :good:

Being perfectly serious though; I Love finding the odd nest now, and 'shooting' the eggs. I mean, I hardly go out of my way to search for nests. But, as and when I discover one, it's a real buzz to grab a good shot and sneak off, leaving everything in order :)

Heh. F*ck it; If it's part of nature and I find it? Out comes the camera anyway! :laugh:

got an abandoned nest of something or others in my barn .. anyone interested? lol these tiny eggs and nest have been there for two years.. makes me sad to see them like that too. birds, in my experience, wont abandon a nest of eggs unless they've been seriously hassled.. which these have not.. i agree with DS.... i'll take pictures all day long but i prefer to leave things as i found them.. they're far more valuable in their original state serving their purpose than in a box in my house

honestly i didnt know such a hobby existed until now!! but then again i grew up in the era of "Leave nature alone!!"

the first two links are just sad to me, but i'm weird like that lol maybe its because i'm a mom or something....

all i know about eggs is ... with chicken eggs they can be lethal when they expire but kinda fun.. from a distance. found an egg a few weeks ago.. just lying in the rabbit pen - used to be tall grass but now its mowed flat.. already cleaned out eggs but i either missed one or it was recent... not wanting to risk breaking a nasty one i gave it a fling.. hit a tree and the egg exploded and made a noise like a 22 rifle lol and to think i almost cracked it against a fence post!!

...still... poor wild birds.. they have enough problems with feral house cats..

Cheers for the replys guys

Bryon whats sort of numbers and types of eggs did you have because it seems a bit strange to me that as far as i can see you can get fined the same amount for have a couple of blackbirds and thrushes eggs as having one of an osprey....seems a bit silly if you ask me. :victory:

I used to love going nesting. We would go out in a small gang, and it would be "Bugsy first egg", then be gutted to find only three in the nest. Thinking birds could only count up to three, and if we took one the bird would abandon the nest. Coming across a Two fingered Wren, which soon went to a five finger as more people found the nest. There were also two types of Robin, the Bank and the Tree. Those where the days.

Regards Sparrow.

I had a collection I was proud of :-)

Maybe 15 to 20 species, mainly garden birds, but my fav was a lapwing egg I had gotten all the way up in scotland, when being a drivers mate to my dad during the school holidays. Same trip I saw my first golden eagle, and whales out at sea.

There's a report in the Mail today about an egger from Coventry getting six months! The RSPB are on a roll with this kind of thing. :censored:

It seems that the wildlife are better thought of than we humans! They have far stricter protection that's enforced.

Its f*cking mental granny bashers and alike get off scot free and Bird nesters get time.Anyone got any stories of nesting when they were younger.

bryon my eyes are peeled and im looking foward to it :thumbs: