Super weather for a shooting day.

A few lads were going to shoot today and I was included. It is a very informal day with a bit of zeroing various rifles from 22rf to 25.06 for a while, and then about four hours of mass flush clay shooting. There is no shooting order or pull, no scores and everyone shoots at the clays at the same time. No scoring and if you mis or part shoot the clay someone else will shoot it.  This was Interlaced with a couple of stops for tea and burgers.  I took four shotguns and about 400 cartridges, there were 6 of us and I don't know how many cartridges were fired but the empties filled a large plastic dustbin and a big box of boxes. The clays were fired by two multi stack traps. One mounted up a scaffold tower attached to an oak tree and the other mounted on a pallet strapped on top of a steel container. This one can be lifted off by the forklift to change the battery and restock the clays. We also had a rabbit trap out on the field. The sun shone and it was T shirts. Son in law treated his apprentice to the afternoon with a slab +, of cartridges. That can't be bad. Free shooting with clays and cartridges, burgers  and tea and being paid wages for the day.  We left as the Sun went down. Shooting until we ran out of cartridges,  clays, or the guns were too hot to hold. Everyone left with a glow and a lot less cartridges. What a gorgeous day. Roll on global warming.   

Edited by Meece
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Meece said:

A few lads were going to shoot today and I was included. It is a very informal day with a bit of zeroing various rifles from 22rf to 25.06 for a while, and then about four hours of mass flush clay shooting. There is no shooting order or pull, no scores and everyone shoots at the clays at the same time. No scoring and if you mis or part shoot the clay someone else will shoot it.  This was Interlaced with a couple of stops for tea and burgers.  I took four shotguns and about 400 cartridges, there were 6 of us and I don't know how many cartridges were fired but the empties filled a large plastic dustbin and a big box of boxes. The clays were fired by two multi stack traps. One mounted up a scaffold tower attached to an oak tree and the other mounted on a pallet strapped on top of a steel container. This one can be lifted off by the forklift to change the battery and restock the clays. We also had a rabbit trap out on the field. The sun shone and it was T shirts. Son in law treated his apprentice to the afternoon with a slab +, of cartridges. That can't be bad. Free shooting with clays and cartridges, burgers  and tea and being paid wages for the day.  We left as the Sun went down. Shooting until we ran out of cartridges,  clays, or the guns were too hot to hold. Everyone left with a glow and a lot less cartridges. What a gorgeous day. Roll on global warming.   

sounds great day that mate, ive got a 686 12g Beretta, and there  i great for birds,and clays. dont shoot much now, but was 65%  on clays , bit better on live stuff .keep me licence going if i fancy knocking few clays down , not many clay shoots by me though (Hereford)

Considering it is still February the day was really nice. It was T shirt or vest weather. I have a couple of groups of friends who have land / or access to land that we can have days like this.  The bloke who owns the ground that we were using  yesterday is a mad keen shooter and says that he will be offended if we don't have a gun if we visit. He is totally mad gun man and is just as likely to come out at lunchtime and just decide to spend the afternoon shooting rather than working. Its nice to be in that situation. I took four shotguns with me. A side by side sidelock, a pump action, an over & under in 12 and another in 20. We just setup a layout and shoot. The downside is that you come home with a lot of kit to get out of the car to inside and then clean  it all properly.  The Mrs said that I looked worn out. But it is a good worn out. The host is a very generous person.  Really good friends and a day like that.  God only knows what his neighbours Think about it all he doesn't get any complaints about the noise.

• Like 2
6 hours ago, bird said:

sounds great day that mate, ive got a 686 12g Beretta, and there  i great for birds,and clays. dont shoot much now, but was 65%  on clays , bit better on live stuff .keep me licence going if i fancy knocking few clays down , not many clay shoots by me though (Hereford)

It's a bit of a drive but, there's a fair few in Wiltshire mate :thumbs:

I don't do clays but, I've heard that Ian Coleys by Birdlip hill is pretty good.

55 minutes ago, Jonjon79 said:

It's a bit of a drive but, there's a fair few in Wiltshire mate :thumbs:

I don't do clays but, I've heard that Ian Coleys by Birdlip hill is pretty good.

I've been there Jon... its mega posh!

the shop is something else loads of nice shotguns and air rifles, 

the clay setup is mint and im sure theres a hft corse in the woods but it was only on a weekend so I didn't bother looking!

only a few mins drive off the m5

• Like 1
8 hours ago, bird said:

Are you not still in Staffordshire Ray?

I went with two of the son in laws and  Some of their friends off roading up in Wales near Aberystwyth and I  suggested that we find a bit of shooting, so we went to the Mid Wales Shooting Ground. I can honestly state that it was superb in its layout and the friendliness of the staff. It was fairly cheap and if the ground was down near here we would be in there all the time.

Ps. We didn't drive up from kent like a viking invasion force to see to the sheep and slaughter the locals. Even though we had a hard job understanding what they were saying.  Some spoke Welsh !! And some spoke pure phlegm. ?

5 hours ago, stumfelter said:

Are you not still in Staffordshire Ray?

no mate ,moved 5 years this oct, i on the Hereford /border nice place  quite rural  ,few shoots by me, they dont like lurchers  or any type running dog  around here  though,  ilike a mooch day and night , you got to keep the dogs fit aint yah  lol

• Like 1