Permission problems

As someone who is relatively new to working with dogs, with little or no hunting background or contacts within the hunting circles it has been really challenging to get started. Firstly with gathering the knowledge and secondly and most importantly getting the permission to put that knowledge into practice.

Do others have the same trouble and how did you overcome this ? 

2 hours ago, Jdbeckley said:

As someone who is relatively new to working with dogs, with little or no hunting background or contacts within the hunting circles it has been really challenging to get started. Firstly with gathering the knowledge and secondly and most importantly getting the permission to put that knowledge into practice.

Do others have the same trouble and how did you overcome this ? 

I asked the same question myself mate. Best get to knocking on doors. Worst that will happen is you get told no. A lot of lads will be apprehensive to give up their contacts or permission purely because it can take a long time to build up trust with the landowner. best of luck 

• Like 1

Yeah that’s the track I’ve been attempting, I’ve tried putting an adds in local papers etc But I feel it’s a lot down to luck in then end.

I've seen a few folks use open letters etc which could be a route I go down.

The frustration is that being new to working dogs I need to be in the field to gain experience so I can learn and improve.

cheers for the response pal!

Its best to start beating , doing moles , rabbits etc before thinking about asking about being allowed to take and work dogs mate  and when you get a new permission nothing is too much trouble for you and once you have the farmer on your side then ask or maybe he will recommend you to his mates 

5 minutes ago, The one said:

Its best to start beating , doing moles , rabbits etc before thinking about asking about being allowed to take and work dogs mate  and when you get a new permission nothing is too much trouble for you and once you have the farmer on your side then ask or maybe he will recommend you to his mates 

Thanks for the advice pal, I’ve contacted a few people to get involved with a bit of ratting, the beating sounds a good way to go will look into it.

Cheers again mate 

Just now, Deker said:

Are you looking to work the dogs, or simply take them as an aid to hunting.

Getting your first land can be hard work, but for whatever reason its usually harder work if its just to work the dogs!

Looking to do bit of lamping/day work, just want to gain experience in the field.

Your right it’s really hard to get your foot in the door without any prior contacts.

43 minutes ago, Jdbeckley said:

Looking to go after rabbits more bud, was looking at ratting to make some contacts to hopefully lead to permissions.

Take them on walks mate, dawn, dusk and when it's wet out - park land and heaths. Look for sign.

Walk them in different places until you find something that they like.

....... Take a torch and, put a bin liner in a shoulder bag with their tennis balls and shit bags ;)

Good luck :thumbs: