Winchester lasers.

Found some today locally.

Got 100 to try and I will be returning to get more!

Adequately accurate. I had to lower zero from the rws HV settings another 2"@100. Coincidentally the rws were lousy consistency wise! Half not breaking sound today out of 25rds.

I also hope the lasers expand better than the rws! Jess was clean today and I was hoping to not bath her again but then the squirrel happened!

Well, it was the second squirrel of the day. I shot it at about thirty yards. It drops to the ground by its hollowed ash and crawls inside, Jess just missing it (like normal). Jess then decides to start digging!

IMG-20181130-131908699.jpg

It had crawled up inside the hollow just out of reach. By the blood it was dead but not dead quick enough! I suspect the rws don't expand much!

I got me a pheasant whilst out too and at the same time shot the first squirrel.

IMG-20181130-124139011.jpg

Anyway I had a jolly good plink on the way home. On at 100, post is 150ish.

On at 30, +1"@50. Certainly more potent than the rws.

Anyway, dog behaved and had had another bloody bath!

U.

• Like 4

As you probably know, lasers are one of the faster .22 hv’s. I’ve used them to good effect, but at odds with your findings Nathan, i find the rws more accurate and haven’t had any noticeable problems with inconsistencies in the rws hv’s I’ve had. Maybe you got some from a bad batch, or quality control has gone down hill? Hopefully it’s the former. I’d still rather have the eley hv’s though, if I could get any?

• Like 1

Lasers (In the 1980's were called Lazer, with a 'Z' and then also sported nickel plated brass).

Yep anyway I got a 500 brick at the CLA about 10 years ago and still have a few boxes left, they are my 'go to' copper washed HV

round, even though they spelled the name differently and have a plain brass case.

My best accuracy round however is the GECO 22l.r. RIFLE 40gr solids, Red box with the picture of an Biathlon 'bloke' on it, these are

the ultimate tack driver ammo in my rifle (SAKO Finnfire  Varmint, cut to 16") 4 shots at 75yards off a bipod & bag nearly always a single ragged hole

Of course no use for hunting, not least cos they pass through 'everything' making a .22 hole but worse they ricochet VERY badly.

AndyF

• Like 3
1 hour ago, andyf said:

Lasers (In the 1980's were called Lazer, with a 'Z' and then also sported nickel plated brass).

Yep anyway I got a 500 brick at the CLA about 10 years ago and still have a few boxes left, they are my 'go to' copper washed HV

round, even though they spelled the name differently and have a plain brass case.

My best accuracy round however is the GECO 22l.r. RIFLE 40gr solids, Red box with the picture of an Biathlon 'bloke' on it, these are

the ultimate tack driver ammo in my rifle (SAKO Finnfire  Varmint, cut to 16") 4 shots at 75yards off a bipod & bag nearly always a single ragged hole

Of course no use for hunting, not least cos they pass through 'everything' making a .22 hole but worse they ricochet VERY badly.

AndyF

I remember the nickeled cases.

We shot hundreds of rabbits with them. A mate had a Russian vostoc rifle and the lasers loosened the action and increased head space. We had to tig some weld to the bolt handle to snug the action up again!

Edited by Underdog
17 hours ago, andyf said:

AndyF

Talking of Winchester hv .22’s, remember these? Available in 29, 32 and 34 grain if I remember correctly ?

F8958380-79F7-4BC2-AD91-5F52298CEAC7.jpeg

CA83DB7D-9A2C-4ED5-8203-F9B56225DB7E.jpeg

F0A556EF-2CE5-43F9-ABCC-FC4EC3558340.jpeg

Looks like Winchester's response to Stinger?

I remember the Xpediter name but don't think I ever had any, those Stingers are a pile of Poo in anything I've ever owned,

also Remington Yellow Jacket, green box with a Wasp on the front, the ones with the 'weirdy' gold colour washed conical

bullet & massive hollow point, made a good Crack but shot pattern instead of a group!

The stinger case is longer for the shorter 32gr bullet, in my SAKO you can feel the case snag the chamber end and I have

to give the bolt a decent shove to close it.

I was given some ancient Winchester 'Rabbit Ammo' back along, same type of small cardboard box as your Xpediter, I reckon

these were  from the 1960's just a 'cooking' cheapo round, standard velocity no hollow point, all the same they all went through

my rifle and were actually pretty good?

I'll have a look in the 'cupboard' and see what's there, I have some old bits & pieces, including Tracer & shot-shell.

I remember the xpeditors but never tried them.

The only rifle I had joy with stingers was a Remington 597.

Yellow jackets were decent in a Krico I had but I think it was a fluke brick I bought in the nineties, others after were bad. In fact most Remington 22 ammo is mediocre.

I was given hundreds of old Canadian ammo with date stamp of 46, thats 1946.

They shot very well, standard velocity, very consistent and no failures.

I noticed my local dealer had some old white box Winchester subs. I bet they are better than the newer stuff!

Edited by Underdog

The only rifle I’ve seen good accuracy from stingers was an old bsa sportsman 15. I thing the American eagles are still made Nathan? I could be wrong. 

The winnies in the white box might be worth a try Nathan. I think they were quite good and it would be interesting to put them up against the new ones.

Andy, if you find anything interesting it would be nice to see if you could put a picture up. I’m always interested in looking and trying something different myself ?.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, wilbur foxhound said:

One of my mates had a 22 and used a round called yellow jackets,I think they had a picture of a hornet or a wasp on the box,are these still available 

The last ones I saw available were on Henry kranks website.

I was told by rfd that nobody was importing the Remington ammo at the moment. This was a couple of years ago though. Some shops still have some old stock. I was offered some cyclones at about two quid a box about a year or so ago. I declined, but for that price I suppose they might have been worth a punt?

5BF6BFF0-79D3-43E5-873D-490D98BAF3A8.jpeg

983A0555-6F29-4239-BEAF-5F7591BA26E4.jpeg