Young dogs first stalk part two

19 minutes ago, Yokel Matt said:

Nice tidy job mate and dig looking great. Fair length barrel on your rifle mate, much weight to it?

Not really it’s the manlicher with the PES silencer, they come along way down the barrel, it’s nicely balanced had it 15 yr now,  

• Like 1
5 hours ago, sussex said:

Half the fun of stalking is having the dog out with you . Cracking looking Lab , hope he got a treat as you gralloched...

I agree, I have had a few Deer dogs, it is standard practice, and minimum wages, to give them a bit of liver, I was just chuffed with him I only got him in July, and the dogs just absorbed everything I have taught him, he was a bit gun shy at the start, but he’s gone from strength to strength, I think you can get a good measure of a dogs ability, when you are stalking, he ignored everything but what I wanted, he fell in behind and watched my every move, you can connect to a dog much better when stalking, in my opinion 

• Like 3
35 minutes ago, 3175darren said:

I agree, I have had a few Deer dogs, it is standard practice, and minimum wages, to give them a bit of liver, I was just chuffed with him I only got him in July, and the dogs just absorbed everything I have taught him, he was a bit gun shy at the start, but he’s gone from strength to strength, I think you can get a good measure of a dogs ability, when you are stalking, he ignored everything but what I wanted, he fell in behind and watched my every move, you can connect to a dog much better when stalking, in my opinion 

The one thing my dog dosnt want to do is walk behind , she wants her nose in front and seems to want clean air , and is continually scenting as we walk . I’ve given up trying to make her walk behind on the basis her nose is better than my eyes .Ive lost count of the times she is proved right ..the thing that amazes me is the distance she scents them at , with a bit of breeze 80/90 metres is no problem .. 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, sussex said:

The one thing my dog dosnt want to do is walk behind , she wants her nose in front and seems to want clean air , and is continually scenting as we walk . I’ve given up trying to make her walk behind on the basis her nose is better than my eyes .Ive lost count of the times she is proved right ..the thing that amazes me is the distance she scents them at , with a bit of breeze 80/90 metres is no problem .. 

Yes it is good half a body length in front, but it was his first time and to be fare, he did creep along side just as I set the sticks up, 93ED63DE-0DF0-4F45-B1B0-53CE42AC809F.jpeg.77101efc43c5f8489e846b841c229221.jpeg

this is the point he picked up on the deer, I sat him then for a while till I had the shot I wanted, I wasn’t going to allow him to push in front too much, till I have the absolute trust in him, I had no lead on him, I had walked him into deer beds in the wood, in October, to learn his body language abit before we did it for real, his body language is very subtle, all you get is a look and a ear flick, and he starts to stiffen, but I feel that will come on now, as he grasps what’s expected of him, he certainly finds the blood trail fairly easy, even when I burry the end/ last bit of it, 

• Like 3