Elm wood mole trap (& a dearth of rabbits)

IMG_20181116_152744.jpg.2c286c2c5f474d8a9ddaf7d432ff4e46.jpgIMG_20181116_153202.jpg.411466131ea4f2178a5e149f075af4e0.jpgElm was apparently a wood of preference for the mole traps of old. So finally managed to get one made. This bit of hill grazing i usually just leave the moles be, but the farmer insists they are caught here now , cause he reckons they  may spread back into the more productive fields round about. (Now that their clear).......was always a good spot for rabbits here also , but sadly they have gone, which is worrying, actually. In fact, i really do feel for the rabbiters at the moment,.......(even though im not much of a rabbiting man, myself)

IMG_20181116_152600.jpg

Edited by earth-thrower
  • Like 3

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Elm was apparently a wood of preference for the mole traps of old. So finally managed to get one made. This bit of hill grazing i usually just leave the moles be, but the farmer insists they are caugh

& another,...now im not an expert (like some ?) but there doesnt seem any struggle, or the mole 'fighting' in these traps here ?

I find it fascinating that here in britian the home of great engineers and the birth place of the industrial revalution that we made these complex traps with all the moving parts...and all the work in

Posted Images

8 hours ago, earth-thrower said:

IMG_20181116_152744.jpg.2c286c2c5f474d8a9ddaf7d432ff4e46.jpgIMG_20181116_153202.jpg.411466131ea4f2178a5e149f075af4e0.jpgElm was apparently a wood of preference for the mole traps of old. So finally managed to get one made. This bit of hill grazing i usually just leave the moles be, but the farmer insists they are caught here now , cause he reckons they  may spread back into the more productive fields round about. (Now that their clear).......was always a good spot for rabbits here also , but sadly they have gone, which is worrying, actually. In fact, i really do feel for the rabbiters at the moment,.......(even though im not much of a rabbiting man, myself)

IMG_20181116_152600.jpg

& another,...now im not an expert (like some ?) but there doesnt seem any struggle, or the mole 'fighting' in these traps here ?

IMG_20181119_155823.jpg

Edited by earth-thrower
  • Like 3
6 hours ago, darrren said:

Rabbits are long gone here In Wales, very sad indeed. 

Really ? , actually sorry to hear that , mate. Aye, its getting serious, .....& now the old hares are suffering too , apparently  (got to wonder, what the hecks going on )

Edited by earth-thrower
6 hours ago, darrren said:

Not lots of hares here but seen none this year. Its not good mate 

Well, i seen more hares late summer, than i had previous years. Think the long , hot , dry summer helped, here. But haven't seen any lately, either. Also, the last remaining spot , (& it's local to me) that seems to hold bunnies here, done well too, & they were spreading into surrounding areas again. Again though, they have disappeared mainly, over October/November ?.   (& i wouldn't think it's the 'midnight cowboys' wholly to blame for it either !)

Edited by earth-thrower
  • 2 weeks later...

This is an example of an 'ash' made trap.(wood turned) A favourite choice of wood of Bob Merrins, for them. This one uses the wee forked trigger, made of hazel (which is popular for this part,....hand cut by the man himself, this particular one) This is one component i may be able to produce myself, if ever needed in future !........?? Iol

IMG_20181205_154021.jpg

IMG_20181205_154139.jpg

Edited by earth-thrower

I find it fascinating that here in britian the home of great engineers and the birth place of the industrial revalution that we made these complex traps with all the moving parts...and all the work involved to get this huge trap....

then the bloddy frogs just bent a bit of iron bar and in seconds had the neat and simple putanges trap.......you would think that we would have thought of that

• Haha 2
32 minutes ago, TOMO said:

I find it fascinating that here in britian the home of great engineers and the birth place of the industrial revalution that we made these complex traps with all the moving parts...and all the work involved to get this huge trap....

then the bloddy frogs just bent a bit of iron bar and in seconds had the neat and simple putanges trap.......you would think that we would have thought of that

You certainly have a point there?,....but the French can keep them, as far as im concerned ! ?

Edited by earth-thrower
19 minutes ago, tilimangro said:

You’ve never tried them

yet you know they aren’t for you 

how does that work?

Correct, & i don't fancy them !,....& its not about their efficiency, humaneness aspect, etc (or lack of ?) for me. (its back to me being a gentleman on here, now,...?)

Edited by earth-thrower

the reason for my post was not to cause offence or even much discution ....I like to see traditional type things and glad that they are still being made and used .....

but when you think how simple them frog things are... just bar bent in to a spring....it just boggles my mind we didn't think of it...

kania is similar as well if you think about it....just the box on the back

2 hours ago, tilimangro said:

Fair enough

i mean no offence but it seems a very ignorant approach

you genuinely cannot comment on the humane ness or any other qualities having never used let alone handled them

How anyone approaches mole catching IS a personal thing, is it not ? well, it is for me anyway,.....ive been catching many years now, & in all types of situations, & soil types, mainly using just one trap type (at any one time),......(except on that RARE occasion where your usual trap won't suffice, perhaps) & that's been challenge enough for me !   lol & that last bit you put,.....i only said I wasn't interested in them ? ?

Edited by earth-thrower