The woodcock season and migration runs a little differently, here. They are on the move, now. By mid-Nov they will be gone, having moved further south to their wintering grounds. The last two days I have gotten in to them good. Tough to kill, living in the really thick, young saplings, but fun to try. We moved 48 yesterday and today. I managed to put 4 in the bag. 

77E19587-A450-4A55-834E-D59F55CC458E.jpeg

BF90A7B7-CDED-4091-870B-176BB9C3BBEB.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

woodcock are a fantastic bit of sport, we tend to shot them in late December to early January, provided they show in good numbers, it’s a bit hit and miss here from season to season, if the numbers are low we leave them alone ?

Edited by Stavross
9 hours ago, Stavross said:

woodcock are a fantastic bit of sport, we tend to shot them in late December to early January, provided they show in good numbers, it’s a bit hit and miss here from season to season, if the numbers are low we leave them alone ?

The last 3 years I’ve shot with friends in Yorkshire. I’ve seen quite a few woodcock on shoot days, but I’ve yet to connect with one.  This year I am coming over earlier, so I doubt I’ll see any, but I’m sure the shooting will be just as fun. 

• Like 1

My shoot is in North Yorkshire near a town called Thirsk ( Sutton bank ) it’s on working forestry so the conditions for woodcock are near perfect, like bell said there’s a few about already so fingers crossed the numbers will be there in a few more weeks, like I said it’s a bit hit and miss and I have noticed the numbers dropping off over the last few years but sometimes you can push a drive through and more woodcock will come out than pheasant, best of luck with your shooting over here ?

• Like 2
8 hours ago, Stavross said:

My shoot is in North Yorkshire near a town called Thirsk ( Sutton bank ) it’s on working forestry so the conditions for woodcock are near perfect, like bell said there’s a few about already so fingers crossed the numbers will be there in a few more weeks, like I said it’s a bit hit and miss and I have noticed the numbers dropping off over the last few years but sometimes you can push a drive through and more woodcock will come out than pheasant, best of luck with your shooting over here ?

Nice area you’ve got there Stavross, do you ever flight them coming out of the forestry at dusk ?

• Like 1
51 minutes ago, Stavross said:

I’ve never done that, but I like the sound of it?

Great sport mate, bit like duck flighting.......you get maybe a 20 minute window........pick a forestry block, preferably one with a fire check to channel the birds

BE6495CD-B0DC-4181-ADF1-697F46C4D754.jpeg

• Like 2
48 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

I’m on mend now mate, might try steal ferrets back off me lad over weekend an try get out? or maybe try palm her off with me card in morning to go shopping herself an sneak out for an hour or 2?

Aye, get yourself out, it’s gota be done...I’m away up north in a few days and stashing a ferret in the car at the last minute......she will never know....

51 minutes ago, bell said:

Great sport mate, bit like duck flighting.......you get maybe a 20 minute window........pick a forestry block, preferably one with a fire check to channel the birds

BE6495CD-B0DC-4181-ADF1-697F46C4D754.jpeg

I’m definitely going to have a go at that in the new year, I know just the spot for it, so we could have a day on the pheasant and then put in a woodcock drive in the other side of the shoot  to finish the day off ?

1 minute ago, Stavross said:

I’m definitely going to have a go at that in the new year, I know just the spot for it, so we could have a day on the pheasant and then put in a woodcock drive in the other side of the shoot  to finish the day off ?

That’s very kind of you mate, look forward to it :D

• Haha 1