Hour with bacon and string

1 hour ago, The one said:

Very nice mate most look a good size make it worth the effort cooking and deshelling them 

They was a good size,they do grow quite big in this brook,it runs through a estate,most days food is chucked in especially on a Friday and Saturday night..kebabs,pizza etc so they soon get big ?

• Haha 1
20 minutes ago, Deker said:

Definitely, mine come out of the Thames and some lakes fed by the Kennet, they need purging.

027.thumb.jpg.83cbe7a82556d2bdb4a37fb5e6a33495.jpg

I like the Crayfish but an awful lot of work for a small return.

Nice haul there mate? Agree they are a lot of work for a small return.

Only catch a few at a time when I fancy some,so not to bad really.

A lot of mine come from Lakes syndicated for fishing, so its important to get as many out as possible.   I think it was about 800kg that came out last year.   

I tend to have a mammoth cooking session when I do them, and then the fingers ache for a few days, their bodies aren't too bad but the claws can be a pain!

If its hot and a few days away from the bin men arriving, the waste STINKS! :laugh::thumbs:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
35 minutes ago, wilbur foxhound said:

What do they taste like 

Probably a few answers to that.

Depends where they come from, if you purge or not and how you cook them, then I suppose what dressing you may put on them.

Probably a bit milder version of shrimp/prawn/lobster, you can tell they don't really have the Sea influence! 

MR TEA POT may well have something to add to that, his come from a brook and they may be very different to mine!

Edited by Deker
  • Like 1

As deker said they are a mild version of shrimps/prawns without the sea taste,if you like prawns I would say you would like these.

Deker I've had them out of a carp syndicate lake and also out of a flowing brook,I'll be honest they do taste the same. I don't purge mine I just remove the middle fin and all the guts come out.

Cooking wise I just boil for 5 mins then dip them in sweet chilli or thousand island sauce....lip smacking good ?

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, MR TEA POT said:

As deker said they are a mild version of shrimps/prawns without the sea taste,if you like prawns I would say you would like these.

Deker I've had them out of a carp syndicate lake and also out of a flowing brook,I'll be honest they do taste the same. I don't purge mine I just remove the middle fin and all the guts come out.

Cooking wise I just boil for 5 mins then dip them in sweet chilli or thousand island sauce....lip smacking good ?

I boil with a fair bit of salt in the water and I think it adds to the flavour, still don't taste like they come out of the sea! :laugh::thumbs:

• Haha 1