33 minutes ago, ChrisJones said:

I only usually chime into football threads to post my favourite Bob Mortimer song but has anyone else noticed how certain fans have a massively overstated sense of entitlement when it comes to silverware?

Define "certain fans" and "entitlement " 

Entitlement to me is fans thinking they deserve to win silverware over everyone else 

2 minutes ago, Welsh_red said:

Define "certain fans" and "entitlement " 

Entitlement to me is fans thinking they deserve to win silverware over everyone else 

Certain fans = Those that grew up watching their team win regular silverware and now they're not are quite upset.

Entitlement = Those that grew up watching their team win regular silverware and now they're not are quite upset.

My definition sounds remarkably similar to yours but it's not exclusive to any particular club just to a given age range that latched on to them when they were great only to be stuck in an existential pickle now that they're not. The term 'but we're a big club' seems to trump all the terrible decisions made by everyone involved in running said club.

When I were a lad there were two sets of fans. Those that supported the local club and those that supported whoever had the best looking silver badge in the Panini sticker album.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, ChrisJones said:

Certain fans = Those that grew up watching their team win regular silverware and now they're not are quite upset.

Entitlement = Those that grew up watching their team win regular silverware and now they're not are quite upset.

My definition sounds remarkably similar to yours but it's not exclusive to any particular club just to a given age range that latched on to them when they were great only to be stuck in an existential pickle now that they're not. The term 'but we're a big club' seems to trump all the terrible decisions made by everyone involved in running said club.

When I were a lad there were two sets of fans. Those that supported the local club and those that supported whoever had the best looking silver badge in the Panini sticker album.

Decent discussion to be had . Personally I haven't heard anybody ever say "but we're a big club" . Im a welsh man utd fan . I make no excuses for supporting utd . When I got into football at 10/11 utd were the force and cantona/kamchelskis/schmeichel were the players for me . If I had any links to Swansea family wise I'd have supported them most probably.  But watching match of the day utd were the team I liked and followed.  I know many disagree but I have no shame in it , I was a young boy and Swansea weren't anywhere to be watched on TV and no way could I afford to go see Swansea , it was prem I seen so I supported utd .

Utd are shite at the moment and the "want" to be back challenging for things is the feeling I get supporting them at the moment . I don't think we "deserve" to be there based on our turnover or past glories but the hope is still there . Back of my mind I hope the fact we were a very good team in recent memory and the fact we spend stupid on players wages (because of the money they mske) might attract a few good players to the club and hopefully at some point get back to winning a title . I think every supporter of clubs wants to progress upwards . Do we deserve it at the moment ? Not a chance . But theirs nothing wrong with hoping for better . I think most of the barb's shot at utd fans are from fans of other clubs who over the years have grown to hate man utd because of their wealth and success in the past they poached the better players from other clubs to further themselves . Nothing wrong with having a dislike for utd but I think the attributed associated with man utd fans is born through the hatred and dislike . You'll find some utd fans who are idiots and play the "big club" bullshite line but you'll also find deluded fans like that of other clubs . Only need to see arsenal TV on YouTube to see the plums who speak loudest 

• Like 1

Fair comments WR.

Not all are like that but when I was at secondary school United went from mid-table to pretty much everything in a very short space of time. Fair play to them too. They had a structure that made the Prem the best league in the world. Everyone was suddenly a fan. It was easy as a kid to switch allegiances but the stubborn die-hards stuck with the team they started with through thick and thin, and to be fair for everyone else it was mainly thin.

When the paradigm shifted those that had supported their teams through thin, and thinner in some cases, were labelled glory hunters by the same set of fans that were calling the domestic trophies tin pot cups only a few years before.

The thing is this isn't directed at Manchester United. It could be equally applied to Chelsea, or Liverpool or if you want to embrace global football any team that had an excellent decade and is now struggling to adapt to an evolving sport, which is pretty much every country on earth. I hear the same argument here played out between Milan fans from Italian descent. Bayern fans from German descent. Guadalajara fans from Mexican descent, etc. Last time I was working in Salt Lake City I was talking to a Bosnian immigrant who had the same discussion about Željezničar (and yeah I did Google the spelling but you get the point.)

Again not having a crack at any club in particular but you can put all these people from all these countries and football is the universal language for those that may not even speak the language. "But We're A Big Club..." is in the eye of the beholder. Right, Max? <j/k>

Do you think red the way jose manages the players are behind him  as he's been vocal about Shaw pogba and a few others it must cause some resentment there's no questioning his record but if you look at pep klopp and that lad at  spurs they seem good man managers who players are busting a gut for i see Jose negative cautious approach not sitting well with some at old Trafford 

3 minutes ago, ChrisJones said:

Fair comments WR.

Not all are like that but when I was at secondary school United went from mid-table to pretty much everything in a very short space of time. Fair play to them too. They had a structure that made the Prem the best league in the world. Everyone was suddenly a fan. It was easy as a kid to switch allegiances but the stubborn die-hards stuck with the team they started with through thick and thin, and to be fair for everyone else it was mainly thin.

When the paradigm shifted those that had supported their teams through thin, and thinner in some cases, were labelled glory hunters by the same set of fans that were calling the domestic trophies tin pot cups only a few years before.

The thing is this isn't directed at Manchester United. It could be equally applied to Chelsea, or Liverpool or if you want to embrace global football any team that had an excellent decade and is now struggling to adapt to an evolving sport, which is pretty much every country on earth. I hear the same argument here played out between Milan fans from Italian descent. Bayern fans from German descent. Guadalajara fans from Mexican descent, etc. Last time I was working in Salt Lake City I was talking to a Bosnian immigrant who had the same discussion about Željezničar (and yeah I did Google the spelling but you get the point.)

Again not having a crack at any club in particular but you can put all these people from all these countries and football is the universal language for those that may not even speak the language. "But We're A Big Club..." is in the eye of the beholder. Right, Max? <j/k>

Out of likes so have a quote , 

sgreed , nothing worse than an Essex reds flag or a lad from Newcastle referring to himself as a koppite on Facebook 

before anyone says anything , lol , yes I am a Celtic fan. But I lived just over an hour away 

and went for years when we were more total shite than total football 

• Thanks 1
26 minutes ago, blackmaggie said:

Do you think red the way jose manages the players are behind him  as he's been vocal about Shaw pogba and a few others it must cause some resentment there's no questioning his record but if you look at pep klopp and that lad at  spurs they seem good man managers who players are busting a gut for i see Jose negative cautious approach not sitting well with some at old Trafford 

I think he's fried Luke Shaw's head . I think he's slowly getting sick of football now it's not going his way . Leads me to think his Chelsea days (first time) might have been more down to the players than him 

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, THE STIFFMEISTER said:

Out of likes so have a quote , 

sgreed , nothing worse than an Essex reds flag or a lad from Newcastle referring to himself as a koppite on Facebook 

before anyone says anything , lol , yes I am a Celtic fan. But I lived just over an hour away 

and went for years when we were more total shite than total football 

I had season tickets for 12 years to watch my team and the best they could manage was 12 managers and a mid-table finish was considered an exemplary season. The years of massively subsidized tickets and your idea of a cup run was 3rd round at best. Turned out to watch them, mid-week, in the pissing rain to play teams like Reading and Wimbledon for a nil-nil draw... Stacks of ticket stubs, fanzines and programs from when the transfer market play was how many players can you get for fifty quid. I even played the "But We're A Big Club" card myself a few times...

Now I'm considered a glory hunter and a fan from one of those places where Team X are playing away for these pre-season friendlies. Generally, I only talk footie with the Mexican lads and even then only those that are old enough to remember getting up early to listen to the Prem on the world service and the common ground was always the 86' World Cup :laugh:

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, Welsh_red said:

I think he's fried Luke Shaw's head . I think he's slowly getting sick of football now it's not going his way . Leads me to think his Chelsea days (first time) might have been more down to the players than him 

could be right red but I thought with him applauding the fans like he did and the board saying there backing him do you think he's on borrowed time the pressure is obviously getting to him judging by him waking out of his after match interview like he did 

The thing is , for many many years I hated United, as in borderline smashing the telly. 

Its only now I realise that some of the football I was not watching , was some of the greatest to be played in the premier league. 

If there’s ever been a greater counter  attacking side than the 1999 treble winners , is like to see them 

“ they always score”