New scope to play with

2 hours ago, Baldcoot said:

Plenty of second hand ones Nathan ,dont worry u dont need open wallet surgery .Ive got the 5x42 with doubler on it and it works.No its not thermal ,no its not a n870 or 970 but it works and the eye relief is sorted with a rubber cup so your on the right distance.Mine was only 200 quid second hand and with a nm800 ir on its more than upto the job. 

Daywise is ok too atb and hope your blood pressure is back to normal :laugh:

?

16 hours ago, Stavross said:

I’m starting to think it’s just a bit of a gadget, if it works well in darkness I could see it been very useful for a keeper sat on top of a .223 or 22-250, but as for a general purpose scope I can’t see it myself 

Be interesting to see hew you get on with it . Let us all know .?

• Like 1

I do like a gadget, don’t think the Mrs would be happy if I splashed more cash out this year on a £600 scope,, spent a few quid already this year. MP5 for the indoor, nikko sterling holographic for the MP5,  new Tikka T1X, cheap scope off Stav to put on the T1X for now seeing as he’s got the new scope?, just about scraped enough together for a DTP for my Tikka and 308?

• Like 1

So I have taken the Yukon photon rt out to have a play with it and for what it’s worth this is what I think

as I was out on my own in day light I thought I’d start from scratch with it

the first thing I noticed is the scope won’t mount far enough back for me it’s only a little bit but it’s enough for me to notice this sometimes make it hard to focus on the on screen display, another thing is the weight it completely changed the handling of the rifle 

one thing I really like is how easy it is to zero, bore sight it, move out to 100 yards put a shot down adjust the scope to your shot and there you have it, another thing I like is you can record what you see 

after a couple of shots in daylight I’m not sure I’d want to use it during the day although the image is good it is not as good as any of my other scopes, after dark the image is much better and the ir seems spot on, easily picking out rabbits at 200 yards with a nice crisp image 

for me I can see a use for it, maybe for a keeper or pest controller out on there own dealing with fox with a rifle just for that purpose but as for a general purpose scope I’d stick to the standard scope that you can use both day and night with a torch, it also doesn’t really fit in with my type of shooting, I wouldn’t swap my shooting buddies for digital night vision, half the fun is been out with like minded people, I don’t think my mate would be to chuffed if I took him out and passed him my iPhone and said watch what I’m about to shoot, it’s nice when you work together to take your quarry together no matter who pulls the trigger ?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
7 hours ago, Stavross said:

So I have taken the Yukon photon rt out to have a play with it and for what it’s worth this is what I think

as I was out on my own in day light I thought I’d start from scratch with it

the first thing I noticed is the scope won’t mount far enough back for me it’s only a little bit but it’s enough for me to notice this sometimes make it hard to focus on the on screen display, another thing is the weight it completely changed the handling of the rifle 

one thing I really like is how easy it is to zero, bore sight it, move out to 100 yards put a shot down adjust the scope to your shot and there you have it, another thing I like is you can record what you see 

after a couple of shots in daylight I’m not sure I’d want to use it during the day although the image is good it is not as good as any of my other scopes, after dark the image is much better and the ir seems spot on, easily picking out rabbits at 200 yards with a nice crisp image 

for me I can see a use for it, maybe for a keeper or pest controller out on there own dealing with fox with a rifle just for that purpose but as for a general purpose scope I’d stick to the standard scope that you can use both day and night with a torch, it also doesn’t really fit in with my type of shooting, I wouldn’t swap my shooting buddies for digital night vision, half the fun is been out with like minded people, I don’t think my mate would be to chuffed if I took him out and passed him my iPhone and said watch what I’m about to shoot, it’s nice when you work together to take your quarry together no matter who pulls the trigger ?

Good write up Stav.

• Like 1
21 hours ago, Baldcoot said:

You,l be ok just tell her they cost less than a pair of shoes n matching handbag .She,l either smile knowingly or duck as she takes a swing :laugh:

As long as I don’t take the p@ss to much she’s ok really. Mainly due to the fact that I let her buy what she wants and don’t complain. She has more shoes than Amel Demarco?