One Space, Four Options

So for a while now I've been wanting to pick up another 12gauge, and today the mrs gave me permission to spend some pennies.

I'm wanting either a pump action or a semi and there a four near(ish) to me that fit the bill. They are a Mossberg 500, a Winchester 1200, a Remington 1100 and a Rottweil semi (model currenly unknown).

I was hoping for the opinions of a few lads who own or have owned/used any of the above to help me make a decision. Obviously the end result will depend more on fit etc than anything else, but they're all spaced a ways apart. So basically I'm asking which should I go and see first..

Cheers, all the best guys

Mick

Personally I'm not a fan of pump actions my mate had a mossberg and I did not like  using it. I have a franchi affinity one semi auto, Nothing fancy around £600 new, I have the synthetic stock as it's just a tool for me at the shoot for foxes pigeons, corvids rabbits etc but they do a wooden stock and camo version aswell. Ive put all manner of cartridge sizes through it, doesnt get a regular clean and it gets bashed about and never had a problem with it cycling. If its just a rough gun or a pigeon blaster I dont think there is a need to be spending into the thousands... just my opinion.

Choosing a gun is all about personal preference and what fits you so good luck in your search!

• Like 1

I'm not desperate for anything to be honest, I've just got a hankering for something new. My main shooter for the past 4 years has been an old non ejecting, double trigger O/U Baikal and it's done me very well. I'm definitely a subscriber to the theory that a more expensive gun doesn't make you a better shot.. It's all about the fit!

I'm thinking I'll arrange to go and have a look at the Mossberg, they seem fairly well thought of and are apparently pretty bulletproof. And as a bonus they've been made the same way for about a million years so parts will be available if needed... Plus I do like the sound a pump makes when you rack it! 

21 hours ago, CaptainBanana said:

So for a while now I've been wanting to pick up another 12gauge, and today

the mrs gave me permission  》》》( ??? ) 《《《 to spend some pennies. 

I'm wanting either a pump action or a semi and there a four near(ish) to me that fit the bill. They are a Mossberg 500, a Winchester 1200, a Remington 1100 and a Rottweil semi (model currenly unknown).

I was hoping for the opinions of a few lads who own or have owned/used any of the above to help me make a decision. Obviously the end result will depend more on fit etc than anything else, but they're all spaced a ways apart. So basically I'm asking which should I go and see first..

I have a 500 8 shot on fac. It is very solid and fun to shoot,  but as it is a 3 inch Magnum and 8 shot it is apt to one and a  bit load onto the elevator if you use 2- 3/4 or 70 mm cases if you load it right up to 7 or 8. It's ok with 6 in mag but you really have to rack it hard and fast. If the double transfer does happen you just flick you finger up the elevator, to push the first case up then roll it over and the first case falls out and you then rack the second into chamber. Sounds a load of crap but once you realise what the score is it is very quick. They are rattly, noisy and a lot of people wouldn't get on with one but great fun. The American marines and lots of other forces use them because they are so robust and ain't fussy about what goes through it. On mine there is no problem with five or less. Rack it hard like your in close combat. It won't  break. Ps don't spray chain grease into the action in the winter to quieten it down which it does do. Ok in summer but in winter the grease goes hard and slows down the hammer and it don't fire. I had this happen and carried a non working gun all afternoon like a fence post round the shoot. I thought that the hammer spring had broken. If I had realised what had happened I  would have taken it back to the car and played the heater on it or  put it over the rad or even pissed in the action. They're that robust. Wd 40 after. 

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, CaptainBanana said:

I'm not desperate for anything to be honest, I've just got a hankering for something new. My main shooter for the past 4 years has been an old non ejecting, double trigger O/U Baikal and it's done me very well. I'm definitely a subscriber to the theory that a more expensive gun doesn't make you a better shot.. It's all about the fit!

I'm thinking I'll arrange to go and have a look at the Mossberg, they seem fairly well thought of and are apparently pretty bulletproof. And as a bonus they've been made the same way for about a million years so parts will be available if needed... Plus I do like the sound a pump makes when you rack it! 

I'm definitely a subscriber to the theory that a more expensive gun doesn't make you a better shot.

How totally  refreshing. Well said. I've seen people with guns costing many thousand of pounds that couldn't hit anything. Occasionally a bird will fly into the pattern. And the young lad with a single barrel that knocks everything down. Ive even seen a bloke throw a very expensive gun throw a gun through the air like a boomerang and the barrels get stuck in the mud. Wicked and stupid.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Meece said:

I've seen people with guns costing many thousand of pounds that couldn't hit anything. Occasionally a bird will fly into the pattern.

Tell me about it! I've known lads who believe it perfectly acceptable to rattle off 50 carts and bring down 2/3 birds.

Now I'm not claiming the title of worlds greatest shot, and I know we all have bad days. But if that's your regular, you've got no right to be shooting at anthing with a pulse!

Thanks for the little writeup on the Mossberg there Meece, just what I was after that ?

46 minutes ago, Underdog said:

The Winchester 1200 is better than any Mossberg mate!

Just saying.

What is it that makes it a better gun?

Not claiming any personal knowledge here, but the writeups that I've read on the net (super reliable I know) seem to be fairly positive for the Mossberg and a bit of a mixed bag for the Winchester.

51 minutes ago, CaptainBanana said:

What is it that makes it a better gun?

Not claiming any personal knowledge here, but the writeups that I've read on the net (super reliable I know) seem to be fairly positive for the Mossberg and a bit of a mixed bag for the Winchester.

I have owned both and the Winchester is smarter, slicker and due to its bolt design quicker. It effectively ejects itself.

Mossies are just more popular, not better.

Just saying.

The semi auto that seems popular with a lot of the keepers near me is the Winchester , reasonable price and reliable. I don’t like  semi autos for a couple of reasons . They spit out their cartridges which you then “should “ pick up , if you can find them . Also when you are in company you never know for sure weather the guy with the semi auto is “safe” . You can see plain as day when a SBS or an OU is broken. They are great for someone who has issues with recoil or needs that third shot cos he’s missed with the other two . Lol

Edited by shovel leaner

Pump Action is not common in the UK for whatever reason, they do seem quite keen on them in the US though, and Mossberg are well known as the market leaders in Pump.     That is not to say they are necessarily the best, but they will give you the best choice and they work, agricultural is the sort of term but that's not really right, more mechanical engineering.

Anyway, think carefully before investing in a Pump, consider if it is really the tool for the job!

4 hours ago, CaptainBanana said:

Tell me about it! I've known lads who believe it perfectly acceptable to rattle off 50 carts and bring down 2/3 birds.

Now I'm not claiming the title of worlds greatest shot, and I know we all have bad days. But if that's your regular, you've got no right to be shooting at anthing with a pulse!

Thanks for the little writeup on the Mossberg there Meece, just what I was after that ?

Your welcome. Really try the pump before you buy as they don't suit everyone.  I bought the 8 shot for rabbit shooting out of the back of a truck after harvest, so that I wasn't knocking my better guns about on the framework. More shots per reload than a double. I did have the sliding safety catch break acros the screw and made a new one out of steel. The std one is sort of like bakelite or similar. Here is link to a thread I started, ( show your guns )  where there are picture of some of my guns amongst which is my 500 and the new slide that I made. Page 2.