Limping Lurcher

Im a bit worried about my lad as hes limping a bit today. Yesterday he was playing with a mad collie for most of the morning and managed to sniff out and chase a fox at about lunchtime. He was fine for the rest of the day but im assuming he got the injury from the playing or chasing. Earlier in the day. 

He didnt start limping till late last night when i took him out before bed and then was still limping today. It seems to have not come on straight away but seized up while sleeping in the evening. Its his front right leg but i cant find any obvious cause. He does seem to be improving and was walking normally at times this evening. Im thinking its just a muscle strain or something but would like some advice from some experienced dog folk.

Cheers

If it was me and I'd gone over the whole leg and foot including the shoulder, and couldn't find any swelling or warm place or sore bit, I'd rest him completely for a few days and only take him out to empty himself on a leash.

If that didn't sort it I'd seek professional help.

Best of luck with it. Those hard to trace lamenesses can be annoying.

(with the hot weather and all check for cracked pads under his feet and if you've been doing roadwork, for thin spots in the skin of his toe pads. These would show as tiny smooth circles near the front of his toe pads)

Edited by Maximus Ferret
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Run your hands down his sore leg once you get to his wrist bend it then work your way back up applying abit of pressure be firm but not to heavy handed flex the leg back then out in front all the time you will need to keep an eye on the dog for his reaction if you hit a sore spot the dog will hold his/her breath or yelp hope this helps an speedy recovery to it mate 

Edited by Stud dog
Mist a word
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the advice lads, he seems to be walking normally now so hopefully just a minor strain.

Trouble is, something like this happens and the worse case scenario's go through your head. It'll be his first proper season so hopefully it'll be a good one.

• Like 1