do snares really work well?

Hi Darren

yes they can be really effective and I am pleased to see you're seeking the right support and guidance on using them.

You say you've been reading up which is a good start - I am assuming that's the articles on here and not just the threads in the forum ?

There are one or two good videos about including the one Woodga made. The first half details how to make snares but the second gives you clear practical instruction on setting snares of different types.

Failing that there are a few on here that used to run courses, but I'm not sure if that is still the case.

But as Lee says it is a skill that you have to learn.

on specifics though - were you snares set on the 'beats' in the runs ? how big were the loops and what height were they from the floor ?

Having said that if they've not been knocked are you sure there is any traffic ?

well most of them are set on a fence.i made some from para cord the other day but found 2 of them snapped somehow the following morning,so i made some wire ones yesterday and put those out.ive set them about a fists height on the fence,because it looks like theyre coming under the fence rather than through it.i also set one about 6inches high on a narrow tunnell through 2 trees. Theyre definatly being used the runs as i find fresh rabbit poop near to them every time i go??

well most of them are set on a fence.i made some from para cord the other day but found 2 of them snapped somehow the following morning,so i made some wire ones yesterday and put those out.ive set them about a fists height on the fence,because it looks like theyre coming under the fence rather than through it.i also set one about 6inches high on a narrow tunnell through 2 trees. Theyre definatly being used the runs as i find fresh rabbit poop near to them every time i go??

What wire did you use? and how many strands? also what cord/twine are you using to fasten them to the fence. :thumbs:

Edited by bowers1986
basically the question is the topic.i made a few snares and set them out,thought id give it a try,is it effective?
its most obvious that your a beginner to the rabbit snaring game , as you are asking are they effective , yes they are most effective in the right hands in fact they are deadly efficient in controlling rabbit numbers in a very short time , why are you using para, cord , a 6 strand brass snare is fine , keep away from the shop bought snares , as they are very poorly designed , with cheap thin twine that just rots , they are usually eight or ten strand, why the hell they are made like this beats me , as a pro. made six strand snare holds hares and big fox cubs easily, they are like tow rope , contact geordie who is a member on this site as he makes pro. snares , nooses and peggers , at this number. 07990/ 917/ 191.

darren snares are effective very effective method of catching they catch 24 hrs a day even when your lying in bed they are there on guard ,please heed the advice given about the tools for the job the green twine and para cord are good for chucking as far away as possible not for catching rabbits yes they will catch but can be chewed thru easy , read all the guides at the top as people like snareman and woodga and john b give all there advice for free .there is no other sport/job where people at the top of there game give out free advice take all you can and may your game bag be full cheers rob :not_i:

Guest Rabbiteer
basically the question is the topic.i made a few snares and set them out,thought id give it a try,is it effective?

Hiya,

the guys are right, you cant beat the advice and help that you can get of this site. I, myself have received no end of help from the masters and try to remember everyword that is said to me in seriousness or in jest.

IMGP0479.jpg

s11.jpg

s10.jpg

I owe all of my success's to others that have shown me the correct way to do things.

However,

I do have some questions,queries.....................

It seems that you said you are new to the hunting/country game. On the ferreting section you were asking about getting ferrets, nets, boxes and such things. Now you are on about snaring which we all agree is a very tender subject with members of the public. Why not wait a little try the ferreting game, and give it a while for you to really get to grips with the land you are working.

Whilst you are practicing one thing learn properly from genuine snaremen about the difficulties of snaring.

I really dont want to poo-poo anyones party and maybe im one of the worst for doing it, but slow down. Do one thing at a time and do it well, then move on to the next thing. The people on here will be more than willing to help you out, plus you will not make as many mistakes by saying you doing things with the wrong materials.

It just the comments "i made a few snares and set them out,thought id give it a try, is it effective"? doesnt really strike me as someone who has researched snaring at all.

I hope some of this makes sense to you and you can see that im not having a pop.

Wishing you all the best for the new year,

Rabbiteer

Edited by Rabbiteer